Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count number of unique values in each column of array Post 303011172 by Yoda on Sunday 14th of January 2018 02:10:21 PM
Old 01-14-2018
Here is an awk approach:-
Code:
awk '
        BEGIN {
                n = split ( "A B C D", T )
        }
        {
                for ( i = 1; i <= NF; i++ )
                        R[i FS $i] += 1
        }
        END {
                printf "VAL\t"
                        printf "COL%d\t", i
                printf "\n"

for ( j = 1; j <= n; j++ )
                {
                        printf "%c\t", T[j]
                                printf "%d\t", R[i FS T[j]]
                        printf "\n"
                }
        }
' file

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read unique values in array

Hi Friends, I am having some trouble reading into an array. Basically, I am trying to grep for a pattern and extract it's value and store the same into an array. For eg., if my input is: <L:RECORD>name=faisel farooq,age=21, company=TCS,project=BT</L:RECORD> <L:RECORD>name=abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of rows based on other column values

Could anybody help with this? I have input below ..... david,39 david,39 emelie,40 clarissa,22 bob,42 bob,42 tim,32 bob,39 david,38 emelie,47 what i want to do is count how many names there are with different ages, so output would be like this .... david,2 emelie,2 clarissa,1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme999
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count Unique Values from a file.

Hi I have the following info in a file - <Cell id="25D"/> <Cell id="26A"/> <Cell id="26B"/> <Cell id="26C"/> <Cell id="27A"/> <Cell id="27B"/> <Cell id="27C"/> <Cell id="28A"/> I would like to know how would you go about counting all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prega
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of distinct values in each column with awk

Hi ! input: A|B|C|D A|F|C|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B As the title of the thread says, I would need to get: 1|3|2|4 I tried different variants of this command, but I don't manage to obtain what I need: gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"}{for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) a++} END {for (b in a) print b}' input ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count frequency of unique values in specific column

Hi, I have tab-deliminated data similar to the following: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 I want to count the frequency of each individual "unique" value in the 1st column. Thus, the desired output would be as follows: dot 3 cat 1 hot 1 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrence of column one unique value having unique second column value

Hello Team, I need your help on the following: My input file a.txt is as below: 3330690|373846|108471 3330690|373846|108471 0640829|459725|100001 0640829|459725|100001 3330690|373847|108471 Here row 1 and row 2 of column 1 are identical but corresponding column 2 value are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print count of unique values

Hello experts, I am converting a number into its binary output as : read n echo "obase=2;$n" | bc I wish to count the maximum continuous occurrences of the digit 1. Example : 1. The binary equivalent of 5 = 101. Hence the output must be 1. 2. The binary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: count unique element of array

Hi, tab-separated input: blabla_1 A,B,C,C blabla_2 A,E,G blabla_3 R,Q,A,B,C,R,Q output: blabla_1 3 blabla_2 3 blabla_3 5 After splitting $2 in an array, I am trying to store the number of unique elements in a variable, but have some difficulties resetting the variable to 0 before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count unique column

Hello, I am trying to count unique rows in my file based on 4 columns (2-5) and to output its frequency in a sixth column. My file is tab delimited My input file looks like this: Colum1 Colum2 Colum3 Colum4 Coulmn5 1.1 100 100 a b 1.1 100 100 a c 1.2 200 205 a d 1.3 300 301 a y 1.3 300... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
6 Replies
PG_FETCH_ALL_COLUMNS(3) 												   PG_FETCH_ALL_COLUMNS(3)

pg_fetch_all_columns - Fetches all rows in a particular result column as an array

SYNOPSIS
array pg_fetch_all_columns (resource $result, [int $column]) DESCRIPTION
pg_fetch_all_columns(3) returns an array that contains all rows (records) in a particular column of the result resource. Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. PARAMETERS
o $result - PostgreSQL query result resource, returned by pg_query(3), pg_query_params(3) or pg_execute(3) (among others). o $column - Column number, zero-based, to be retrieved from the result resource. Defaults to the first column if not specified. RETURN VALUES
An array with all values in the result column. FALSE is returned if $column is larger than the number of columns in the result, or on any other error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_fetch_all_columns(3) example <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT title, name, address FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } // Get an array of all author names $arr = pg_fetch_all_columns($result, 1); var_dump($arr); ?> SEE ALSO
pg_fetch_all(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_FETCH_ALL_COLUMNS(3)