Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count number of unique values in each column of array Post 303011168 by Geneanalyst on Sunday 14th of January 2018 12:20:29 PM
Old 01-14-2018
Question Count number of unique values in each column of array

What is an efficient way of counting the number of unique values in a 400 column by 1000 row array and outputting the counts per column, assuming the unique values in the array are:

A, B, C, D

In other words the output should look like:
Code:
     Value    COL1    COL2    COL3
A    50    51    52
B    95    23    12
C    51    95    85
D    32    60    20

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-14-2018 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: added example; mod: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read unique values in array

Hi Friends, I am having some trouble reading into an array. Basically, I am trying to grep for a pattern and extract it's value and store the same into an array. For eg., if my input is: <L:RECORD>name=faisel farooq,age=21, company=TCS,project=BT</L:RECORD> <L:RECORD>name=abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of rows based on other column values

Could anybody help with this? I have input below ..... david,39 david,39 emelie,40 clarissa,22 bob,42 bob,42 tim,32 bob,39 david,38 emelie,47 what i want to do is count how many names there are with different ages, so output would be like this .... david,2 emelie,2 clarissa,1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme999
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count Unique Values from a file.

Hi I have the following info in a file - <Cell id="25D"/> <Cell id="26A"/> <Cell id="26B"/> <Cell id="26C"/> <Cell id="27A"/> <Cell id="27B"/> <Cell id="27C"/> <Cell id="28A"/> I would like to know how would you go about counting all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prega
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of distinct values in each column with awk

Hi ! input: A|B|C|D A|F|C|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B As the title of the thread says, I would need to get: 1|3|2|4 I tried different variants of this command, but I don't manage to obtain what I need: gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"}{for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) a++} END {for (b in a) print b}' input ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count frequency of unique values in specific column

Hi, I have tab-deliminated data similar to the following: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 I want to count the frequency of each individual "unique" value in the 1st column. Thus, the desired output would be as follows: dot 3 cat 1 hot 1 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrence of column one unique value having unique second column value

Hello Team, I need your help on the following: My input file a.txt is as below: 3330690|373846|108471 3330690|373846|108471 0640829|459725|100001 0640829|459725|100001 3330690|373847|108471 Here row 1 and row 2 of column 1 are identical but corresponding column 2 value are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print count of unique values

Hello experts, I am converting a number into its binary output as : read n echo "obase=2;$n" | bc I wish to count the maximum continuous occurrences of the digit 1. Example : 1. The binary equivalent of 5 = 101. Hence the output must be 1. 2. The binary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: count unique element of array

Hi, tab-separated input: blabla_1 A,B,C,C blabla_2 A,E,G blabla_3 R,Q,A,B,C,R,Q output: blabla_1 3 blabla_2 3 blabla_3 5 After splitting $2 in an array, I am trying to store the number of unique elements in a variable, but have some difficulties resetting the variable to 0 before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count unique column

Hello, I am trying to count unique rows in my file based on 4 columns (2-5) and to output its frequency in a sixth column. My file is tab delimited My input file looks like this: Colum1 Colum2 Colum3 Colum4 Coulmn5 1.1 100 100 a b 1.1 100 100 a c 1.2 200 205 a d 1.3 300 301 a y 1.3 300... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
6 Replies
CLAQGB(l)								 )								 CLAQGB(l)

NAME
CLAQGB - equilibrate a general M by N band matrix A with KL subdiagonals and KU superdiagonals using the row and scaling factors in the vectors R and C SYNOPSIS
SUBROUTINE CLAQGB( M, N, KL, KU, AB, LDAB, R, C, ROWCND, COLCND, AMAX, EQUED ) CHARACTER EQUED INTEGER KL, KU, LDAB, M, N REAL AMAX, COLCND, ROWCND REAL C( * ), R( * ) COMPLEX AB( LDAB, * ) PURPOSE
CLAQGB equilibrates a general M by N band matrix A with KL subdiagonals and KU superdiagonals using the row and scaling factors in the vec- tors R and C. ARGUMENTS
M (input) INTEGER The number of rows of the matrix A. M >= 0. N (input) INTEGER The number of columns of the matrix A. N >= 0. KL (input) INTEGER The number of subdiagonals within the band of A. KL >= 0. KU (input) INTEGER The number of superdiagonals within the band of A. KU >= 0. AB (input/output) COMPLEX array, dimension (LDAB,N) On entry, the matrix A in band storage, in rows 1 to KL+KU+1. The j-th column of A is stored in the j-th column of the array AB as follows: AB(ku+1+i-j,j) = A(i,j) for max(1,j-ku)<=i<=min(m,j+kl) On exit, the equilibrated matrix, in the same storage format as A. See EQUED for the form of the equilibrated matrix. LDAB (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array AB. LDA >= KL+KU+1. R (output) REAL array, dimension (M) The row scale factors for A. C (output) REAL array, dimension (N) The column scale factors for A. ROWCND (output) REAL Ratio of the smallest R(i) to the largest R(i). COLCND (output) REAL Ratio of the smallest C(i) to the largest C(i). AMAX (input) REAL Absolute value of largest matrix entry. EQUED (output) CHARACTER*1 Specifies the form of equilibration that was done. = 'N': No equilibration = 'R': Row equilibration, i.e., A has been premultiplied by diag(R). = 'C': Column equilibration, i.e., A has been postmulti- plied by diag(C). = 'B': Both row and column equilibration, i.e., A has been replaced by diag(R) * A * diag(C). PARAMETERS
THRESH is a threshold value used to decide if row or column scaling should be done based on the ratio of the row or column scaling factors. If ROWCND < THRESH, row scaling is done, and if COLCND < THRESH, column scaling is done. LARGE and SMALL are threshold values used to decide if row scaling should be done based on the absolute size of the largest matrix element. If AMAX > LARGE or AMAX < SMALL, row scaling is done. LAPACK version 3.0 15 June 2000 CLAQGB(l)