Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users GNU = inventions that nobody wants? Post 303010861 by jlliagre on Monday 8th of January 2018 07:09:51 PM
Old 01-08-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
First: I would like to see the filesystems not all sorts of gimmicks. The output of mount is equally unusable, because ones wades through lists of "virtual filesystems", which are no filesystems at all.
I understand your rant and frustration but they are file systems too in the sense they allow accessing directories and (possibly virtual) files, and are mounted somewhere. Implementations of the "df" command are required to show each and every mounted file system but the standard says nothing about virtual ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSIX df specifications
File systems shall be specified by the file operands; when none are specified, information shall be written for all file systems.
Moreover, this thread is named "GNU = inventions that nobody wants" while GNU is not responsible at all about all these virtual file systems which are implemented by the Linux kernel and its modules. On the opposite, GNU df is already filtering out by default several file systems not to pollute too much its output.
Try "df -a" on a GNU/Linux box to see what I mean.

Finally, there are similar non disk partition backed file systems on non Linux systems too like for example Solaris where df reports a file system which is only used to overlay mount a single file on top of /lib/libc.so.1.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Gnu C

hello, i have use only TURBO C for programming.i used to did only on windows OS. but now i am trying to program on Linux systems.so i heard about GNU C tools and compiler. i am a bit confused and i want to know a very simplified answer for it. can anybody help me. what a heck is this GNU...... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

GNU/Solaris

i am looking forward to this one: http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=11672#11672 i thought that the gentoo community would release the first opensolaris distri, but perhabs we will get a chance to try opensolaris within 1/2 hour installation and not 12 hours "gentoo-stage_1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Gnu tools for hp-ux

Hi everyone, I urgently need to install all GNU tools for HP-UX 11.23. Is there somewhere i can get the whole package as opposed to download each of them separate. I'm really stuck, i need them especially gcc. kindly assist. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dowell
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU screen

Hello, One of the things I like about screen is that it has a scrollback buffer, which if you go into the copy mode, will let you go back for a specified number of line. Is there a way to extend the number of scrollback lines in screen? I've looked thoroughly online and I could not find a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

non GNU utilities

Hi Chaps, Does anyone know of a source of proprietary unix utilities. I often fall into the trap of testing a spot of code on my linux machine, posting the answer in the forums and then realise that the solution may only work with the GNU utils that I use, and not standard posix ones (if there are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wempy
4 Replies

6. BSD

Anyone using GNU BSD?

Is anyone using or planning to use GNU BSD in production yet? I'd like to hear experiences. (Debian GNU/NetBSD) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpsville
8 Replies

7. AIX

GNU findutils

Hi, We are running 64-bit AIX 6.1. I have gcc 4.2.0 on our system. I'd like to get the latest copy of GNU findutils on the server. From what I see, I have two basic options: 1) download source code and compile using gcc or 2) download rpm and install. Would someone please point me in the right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eben Yong
1 Replies

8. Debian

GNU Barcodes

I wish to be able to print a barcode .5 inches from top of the page and centered. I generate the barcode - yes 12345 | head -84 | barcode -p 5x5.0cm -umm -e CODE39 > test.ps; and print - lpr -o media=letter -#1 -P LJ1012 /var/www/test.ps -o page-top=33 -o page-bottom=44 -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GNU Regex

I'm just learning Regex and while testing my understanding I received some unexpected results. I created example.txt with the text "abcddd". Running the command grep --color 'd' example.txt I received the results: "abcddd" with the first and second letter d highlighted in red. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rthomas529
1 Replies
lofs(7FS)                                                          File Systems                                                          lofs(7FS)

NAME
lofs - loopback virtual file system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/mount.h> int mount (const char* dir, const char* virtual, int mflag, lofs, NULL, 0); DESCRIPTION
The loopback file system device allows new, virtual file systems to be created, which provide access to existing files using alternate pathnames. Once the virtual file system is created, other file systems can be mounted within it, without affecting the original file sys- tem. However, file systems which are subsequently mounted onto the original file system are visible to the virtual file system, unless or until the corresponding mount point in the virtual file system is covered by a file system mounted there. virtual is the mount point for the virtual file system. dir is the pathname of the existing file system. mflag specifies the mount options; the MS_DATA bit in mflag must be set. If the MS_RDONLY bit in mflag is not set, accesses to the loop back file system are the same as for the underlying file system. Otherwise, all accesses in the loopback file system will be read-only. All other mount(2) options are inherited from the underlying file systems. A loopback mount of '/' onto /tmp/newroot allows the entire file system hierarchy to appear as if it were duplicated under /tmp/newroot, including any file systems mounted from remote NFS servers. All files would then be accessible either from a pathname relative to '/' or from a pathname relative to /tmp/newroot until such time as a file system is mounted in /tmp/newroot, or any of its subdirectories. Loopback mounts of '/' can be performed in conjunction with the chroot(2) system call, to provide a complete virtual file system to a process or family of processes. Recursive traversal of loopback mount points is not allowed. After the loopback mount of /tmp/newroot, the file /tmp/newroot/tmp/newroot does not contain yet another file system hierarchy; rather, it appears just as /tmp/newroot did before the loopback mount was performed (for example, as an empty directory). Examples lofs file systems are mounted using: mount -F lofs /tmp /mnt SEE ALSO
lofiadm(1M), mount(1M), chroot(2), mount(2), sysfs(2), vfstab(4), lofi(7D) WARNINGS
Loopback mounts must be used with care; the potential for confusing users and applications is enormous. A loopback mount entry in /etc/vfstab must be placed after the mount points of both directories it depends on. This is most easily accomplished by making the loop- back mount entry the last in /etc/vfstab. SunOS 5.10 10 Apr 2001 lofs(7FS)