Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Continued trouble matching fields in different files and selective field printing ([g]awk) Post 303010713 by jvoot on Friday 5th of January 2018 09:14:22 PM
Old 01-05-2018
Thank you so much for this Don and also for your (and others') patience as I posted two very similar threads that kept tripping me up (I continue to have trouble with this sort of text manipulation).

I may be wrong, but in the code you suggest,
Code:
{print $0,A[$2,$5]}

it looks like that will print all of File2 (i.e., the entire line) prior to the matched output.

Perhaps
Code:
{print $1,A[$2,$5]}

does the trick.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - printing certain fields when field order changes in data file

I'm hoping someone can help me on this. I have a data file that greatly simplified might look like this: sec;src;dst;proto 421;10.10.10.1;10.10.10.2;tcp 426;10.10.10.3;10.10.10.4;udp 442;10.10.10.5;10.10.10.6;tcp sec;src;fac;dst;proto 521;10.10.10.1;ab;10.10.10.2;tcp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric4
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

selective printing awk

Hi there my file looks like this 1 a b c d e f 2 a b b c d e f f g h e t t 3 a c b d e f 4 a b c i want to print the line which has the fields containing ONLY a b c, in this case the line 4. How can i awk it !!!? Many Thanks in advance! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Matching Fields and Combining Files

Hello! I am writing a program to run through two large lists of data (~300,000 rows), find where rows in one file match another, and combine them based on matching fields. Due to the large file sizes, I'm guessing AWK will be the most efficient way to do this. Overall, the input and output I'm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michelangelo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK : Add Fields of lines with matching field

Dear All, I would like to add values of a field, if the lines match in a certain field. Then I would like to divide the sum though the number of lines that have a matched field. This is the Input: Input: Test1 5 Test1 10 Test2 2 Test2 5 Test2 13 Test3 4 Output: Test1 7.5 Test1 7.5... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk selective printing

Hi, i need help to print number from different field INPUT: Student1 10 20 Student2 30 40 Student3 50 60 Student4 70 80 Desired Output: 1 20-30 2 40-50 3 60-70 Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing entire field, if at least one row is matching by AWK

Dear all, I have been trying to print an entire field, if the first line of the field is matching. For example, my input looks something like this. aaa ddd zzz 123 987 126 24 0.650 985 354 9864 0.32 0.333 4324 000 I am looking for a pattern,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chulamakuri
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: matching multiple fields between 2 files

Hi, I have 2 tab-delimited input files as follows. file1.tab: green A apple red B apple file2.tab: apple - A;Z Objective: Return $1 of file1 if, . $1 of file2 matches $3 of file1 and, . any single element (separated by ";") in $3 of file2 is present in $2 of file1 In order to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Selective printing of fields

Hi Gurus, I have following input file. I tried multiple awk combinations to print selected columns without success. HEX ID Name ver FLRGT Start Time Total Shared End Date ----- -------- --- ------ ------------------------ -------------- -------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk for matching fields between files with repeated records

Hello all, I am having trouble with what should be an easy task, but seem to be missing something fundamental. I have two files, with File 1 consisting of a single field of many thousands of records. I also have File 2 with two fields and many thousands of records. My goal is that when $1 of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)