Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Different ways to check a file Post 303010661 by SkySmart on Friday 5th of January 2018 01:34:26 AM
Old 01-05-2018
Different ways to check a file

to get the checksum of a file on unix systems, you can just use the "cksum" command.

i discovered there are some watered down versions of unix systems i have to do some work on. surprisingly, these systems have perl installed on them and awk.

so if the cksum command is not available on a system, how else can someone get the cksum of a file with either perl or awk, using their built in functions.?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

12 Ways to Parse a file

A common thing in shell scripting. I came across this script that will be useful for people learning to write script. #!/usr/bin/ksh # # SCRIPT: 12_ways_to_parse.ksh.ksh # # # REV: 1.2.A # # PURPOSE: This script shows the different ways of reading # a file line by line. Again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to check for a file, check for 2hrs. then quit

I wish to seach a Dir for a specific file, once the file is found i will perform additional logic. If the file is not found within two hours, i would like to exit. Logically, I'm looking for the best way to approach this Thanks for any assistance in advance. Note: I'm using a C shell and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmarsh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ways to open a file

How many ways are there to open a file in unix? wha i know is mentioned below suppose if xx is a filename, then 1) cat xx 2) more xx 3) view xx 4) less xx I heard there are seven ways to open a file. If so, can anyone tell me all the ways to open a file and correct me the above... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ways to know about a command.......

What are the ways to know about a command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help ! or others ways to do it!

Hi! I really need your help! I need to operate the columns separate by ',' of a file with this structure a1,a2,a3 b1,b2,b3,b4,b5 c1,c2 d1,d2,d3 e1 .... and I want the result of this subtractions a1-a1,a2-a1,a3-a1 b1-b1,b2-b1,b3-b1,b4-b1,b5-b1 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways to get OS version

I am trying to figure out the OS version of my Linux box. I got three commands: # uname -a Linux test01 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 # cat /proc/version Linux version 2.6.18-238.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insvf
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ways to quickly check if you are connected to the internet while on an internal network

I need some help thinking of ways to quickly check if I am connected to the internet while on an internal network. I never lose connection to the internal network but for some annoying reason I lose the internet quite often. I don't get any errors or warnings. I usually find out that I have lost my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ways to run script from anywhere

Hi I am trying to make my scripts to run from any directory and after some research (googling) I find there are 2 ways to do this 1. export PATH=$PATH:directory 2. create a /bin directory in your home directory and put your scripts there. Could someone tell me the relative merits of either... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piynik
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyway different ways of doing this program

Okay so I'm 13 and my dad set me a challenge of writing a program that check to see if a box is online with input parameter when starting the program so i came back with this.The top commented out bit is what he showed me how to do after i show him my code. #!/bin/sh #in=${@} #tst=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattylad000
3 Replies
cksum(n)							       cksum								  cksum(n)

NAME
cksum - calculate a cksum(1) compatible checksum SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require cksum ?1.0? ::crc::cksum ?-format format? message ::crc::cksum ?-format format? -filename file DESCRIPTION
This package provides a Tcl-only implementation of the cksum(1) algorithm based upon information provided at in the GNU implementation of this program as part of the GNU Textutils 2.0 package. COMMANDS
::crc::cksum ?-format format? message ::crc::cksum ?-format format? -filename file The command takes string data or a file name and returns a checksum value calculated using the cksum(1) algorithm. The result is formatted using the format(n) specifier provided or as an unsigned integer (%u) by default. OPTIONS
-filename name Return a checksum for the file contents instead of for parameter data. -format string Return the checksum using an alternative format template. EXAMPLES
% crc::cksum "Hello, World!" 2609532967 % crc::cksum -format 0x%X "Hello, World!" 0x9B8A5027 % crc::cksum -file cksum.tcl 1828321145 SEE ALSO
sum(n), crc32(n) AUTHORS
Pat Thoyts KEYWORDS
cksum, checksum, crc, crc32, cyclic redundancy check, data integrity, security crc 1.0 cksum(n)