Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Syntax error near unexpected token 'do' Post 303010559 by apmcd47 on Wednesday 3rd of January 2018 07:22:56 AM
Old 01-03-2018
Code:
nohup bash -c 'for FN in /X5/WORK/BGH/INV/REG/pdf/SEND/BGH*/1/*.fo; do gzip $FN; done' &

Note the single quotes before the for and after the done.

Because you used nohup bash didn't recognise the for loop and tried to interpret the do gzip $FN as a separate command.

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh syntax error unexpected token done

I'm getting the following error: line 21: syntax error near unexpected token `done` line 21: `done` and I haven't been able to figure out why. Here is my code #!/bin/sh if ; then echo 'Usage: rename getexp/replStr ' exit 0 fi arg = $1 shift while ; do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NullPointer
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

syntax error near unexpected token '{

Hi, I am running the following script through cygwin and getting below mentioned error. ******************************************* #!/bin/sh # constants WORK_DIR="deploy" INFOFILE="deploy.info" INTROFILE="Intro.sh" CMGMT_PKG="com.kintana.cmgmt.deploy" DEPLOY_PREFIX="mitg" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MandyR
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error near unexpected token `='

Hi all, This is a script which converts hex to bin. However am finding an error while executing syntax error near unexpected token `=' `($hexfile, $binfile) = @ARGV;' I am running using ./fil.pl <hexfile> <binfile> ################################################### # # this script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaango123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `('

What do I do here? #!/bin/bash payload=-1 AND 1=IF(21,BENCHMARK(5000000,MD5(CHAR(115,113,108,109,97,112))),0)# hash=`echo -n $payload md5sum tr -d 'n' sed 'ss-sg' md5sum tr -d 'n' sed 'ss-sg'` curl --data cs2=chronopay&cs1=$payload&cs3=$hash&transaction_type=rebill... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iiiiiiiiiii
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `else'

Hi, I am trying to read the session log through script. But it keeps showing me some error near. I have tried everything. Even tried converting the script using sed command to remove the hidden characters(\r).But nothing seems to be working.Below is the script : #!/bin/bash cd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aryan12345
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token '('

I tried to execute the code but I got this error ./Array.c: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token '(' ./Array.c: line 9: ' nvals = get_data(a,MAXARRAY);' and #include<stdio.h> #define MAXARRAY 1000 main() { int a, nvals; nvals =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgradywhite
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token

Hi all, I have a simple script that doesn't work somehow. I can't seem to be spotting the cause of the malfunction. count=$((1)) for item in `cat test1.txt` printf %s `sed -n $((count))p test2.txt` > test3.txt count=$((count+1)) do something done I get ; ./why.sh: line 3:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: y33t
14 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

I have 2 files like a.txt and b.txt and the content is as below cat a.txt 810750125 117780 /BSCSQAT4A/bscsqat4a/lib/jar/wclt_common.jar 1803152428 13300 /BSCSQAT4A/bscsqat4a/lib/jar/WFMSSupportTool.jar 2663502779 67049 /BSCSQAT4A/bscsqat4a/lib/jar/wma.jar 687942896 665272... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error near unexpected token

Dears, While executing the below script im getting the error at line 30. Please let me know what changes to be done to fix this. test.sh: line 30: syntax error near unexpected token `done' test.sh: line 30: ` done ' #!/bin/sh # Rev. PA1 # author: eillops # date: 26-04-2018 # #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

detect_mouse_mvt.sh /home/andy/bin/detect_mouse_mvt.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `(' /home/andy/bin/detect_mouse_mvt.sh: line 4: `fh = file('/dev/input/mice')' #!/bin/bash # # fh = file('/dev/input/mice') while True: fh.read(3) print 'Mouse... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
15 Replies
mkproto(8)							    Unsupported 							mkproto(8)

Name
       mkproto - construct a prototype file system

Syntax
       /etc/mkproto special proto

Description
       The  command  is used to bootstrap a new file system.  First a new file system is created using The command is then used to copy files from
       the old file system into the new file system according to the directions found in the prototype file proto.  The  prototype  file  contains
       tokens  separated by spaces or new lines.  The first tokens comprise the specification for the root directory.  File specifications consist
       of tokens giving the mode, the user-id, the group id, and the initial contents of the file.  The syntax of the contents	field  depends	on
       the mode.

The mode token for a file is a 6 character string.  The first character specifies the type of the file.	(The characters -bcd specify regu-
       lar, block special, character special and directory files respectively.)  The second character of the type is either u or - to specify set-
       user-id	mode or not.  The third is g or - for the set-group-id mode.  The rest of the mode is a three digit octal number giving the owner,
       group, and other read, write, execute permissions.  See

Two decimal number tokens come after the mode; they specify the user and group ID's of the owner of the file.

If the file is a regular file, the next token is a pathname whence the contents and size are copied.

If the file is a block or character special file, two decimal number tokens follow which give the major and minor device numbers.

If the file is a directory, makes the entries .	and ..	and then reads a list of names	and  (recursively)  file  specifications  for  the
       entries in the directory.  The scan is terminated with the token $.

A sample prototype specification follows:

d--777 3 1
       usr  d--777 3 1
	    sh	 ---755 3 1 /bin/sh
	    ken  d--755 6 1
		 $
	    b0	 b--644 3 1 0 0
	    c0	 c--644 3 1 0 0
	    $
       $

Restrictions
       You can only run on virgin file systems.  It should be possible to copy files into existent file systems.

See Also
       dir(5), fs(5), fsck(8), newfs(8)

mkproto(8)