Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined Post 303010486 by MDominok on Tuesday 2nd of January 2018 08:39:54 AM
Old 01-02-2018
Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks

I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout.

After some research and testing i got this so far :

Code:
(( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1 1>&2 2>&3 ) | tee -a ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY}.stderr ) >> ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY} 2>&1

So got my stderr and one stdout+stderr log files and only need a "copy" of FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY, sort of
Code:
(( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1 1>&2  2>&3 ) | tee -a ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY}.stderr ) >>  ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY} 2>&1 | tee -a ${FILE_LOG_GLOBAL}

But lot's of monochrome '&'s, '>'s and 'tee's that are enganged in some sort of high speed rain dance in front of my eyes are keeping me from seeing the solution right now. 8-)

And yes, simply copying the file after exec finished is Plan B...
Plan A is to have (many) ${command}s log into a global file (for tail -f'ing) and single files for run control/archiving.

To make matters worse i need to run the script on Solaris(ksh88, which wont accept my "solution" above so far), SuSE (ksh93) and Redhat (ksh93).

Cheers and thanks for all hints!

Michael

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

combined stdout & stderr

Hello Everyone! I'm trying to combine output for standard output and for possible standard error to the log file. I was trying to use tee command, but it turned out if error occurred error output will be send to the screen only and will not be redirected with tee command to the log file. Anyone... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: slavam
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve output order when redirecting stdout and stderr

Hi, I already searched through the forum and tried to find a answer for my problem but I didn't found a full working solution, thats way I start this new thread and hope, some can help out. I wonder that I'm not able to find a working solution for the following scenario: Working in bash I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boemm
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
OMPI-IOF(1)							     Open MPI							       OMPI-IOF(1)

NAME
ompi-iof, orte-iof - Displays a copy of the output streams from a process. NOTE: ompi-iof, and orte-iof are exact synonyms for each other. Using any of the names will result in exactly identical behavior. SYNOPSIS
ompi-iof [ options ] Options ompi-iof will display a copy of the indicated stdout, stderr, and/or stddiag streams from the designated process. -pid | --pid The pid of the mpirun executing the process whose streams are to be copied -stdout | --stdout Display a copy of the specified process' stdout. If no options are specified, this will act as the default -stderr | --stderr Display a copy of the specified process' stderr. -stddiag | --stddiag Display a copy of the specified process' stddiag. -rank | --rank The rank of the process whose output is to be copied. DESCRIPTION
ompi-iof displays a copy of the indicated stdout, stderr, and/or stddiag streams from the designated process. At this time, a ctrl-C must be used to terminate the program. The program will terminate cleanly, telling the associated mpirun to close the requested streams before exiting. SEE ALSO
orterun(1) 1.4.5 Feb 10, 2012 OMPI-IOF(1)