Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined Post 303010486 by MDominok on Tuesday 2nd of January 2018 08:39:54 AM
Old 01-02-2018
Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks

I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout.

After some research and testing i got this so far :

Code:
(( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1 1>&2 2>&3 ) | tee -a ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY}.stderr ) >> ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY} 2>&1

So got my stderr and one stdout+stderr log files and only need a "copy" of FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY, sort of
Code:
(( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1 1>&2  2>&3 ) | tee -a ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY}.stderr ) >>  ${FILE_LOG_TEMPORARY} 2>&1 | tee -a ${FILE_LOG_GLOBAL}

But lot's of monochrome '&'s, '>'s and 'tee's that are enganged in some sort of high speed rain dance in front of my eyes are keeping me from seeing the solution right now. 8-)

And yes, simply copying the file after exec finished is Plan B...
Plan A is to have (many) ${command}s log into a global file (for tail -f'ing) and single files for run control/archiving.

To make matters worse i need to run the script on Solaris(ksh88, which wont accept my "solution" above so far), SuSE (ksh93) and Redhat (ksh93).

Cheers and thanks for all hints!

Michael

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting STDOUT & STDERR

In bash, I need to send the STDOUT and STDERR from a command to one file, and then just STDERR to another file. Doing one or the other using redirects is easy, but trying to do both at once is a bit tricky. Anyone have any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshinaman
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

combined stdout & stderr

Hello Everyone! I'm trying to combine output for standard output and for possible standard error to the log file. I was trying to use tee command, but it turned out if error occurred error output will be send to the screen only and will not be redirected with tee command to the log file. Anyone... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: slavam
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Handling Stdout&StdErr for background jobs.

Hello Friends, sorry, i am not very familiar with Unix programming. Could you please help me on this? We have to start different components from a startup script. each components are started as below in the background in a startprocess function $nohup $file $args >>$logFile 2>&1 & ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinbush
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve output order when redirecting stdout and stderr

Hi, I already searched through the forum and tried to find a answer for my problem but I didn't found a full working solution, thats way I start this new thread and hope, some can help out. I wonder that I'm not able to find a working solution for the following scenario: Working in bash I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boemm
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
STDIN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  STDIN(3)

NAME
stdin, stdout, stderr -- standard I/O streams SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> extern FILE *stdin; extern FILE *stdout; extern FILE *stderr; DESCRIPTION
Under normal circumstances every Unix program has three streams opened for it when it starts up, one for input, one for output, and one for printing diagnostic or error messages. These are typically attached to the user's terminal (see tty(4)) but might instead refer to files or other devices, depending on what the parent process chose to set up. (See also the ``Redirection'' section of sh(1) .) The input stream is referred to as ``standard input''; the output stream is referred to as ``standard output''; and the error stream is referred to as ``standard error''. These terms are abbreviated to form the symbols used to refer to these files, namely stdin, stdout, and stderr. Each of these symbols is a stdio(3) macro of type pointer to FILE, and can be used with functions like fprintf(3) or fread(3). Since FILEs are a buffering wrapper around Unix file descriptors, the same underlying files may also be accessed using the raw Unix file interface, that is, the functions like read(2) and lseek(2). The integer file descriptors associated with the streams stdin, stdout, and stderr are 0, 1, and 2, respectively. The preprocessor symbols STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, and STDERR_FILENO are defined with these values in <unistd.h>. Note that mixing use of FILEs and raw file descriptors can produce unexpected results and should generally be avoided. (For the masochistic among you: POSIX.1, section 8.2.3, describes in detail how this interaction is supposed to work.) A general rule is that file descriptors are handled in the kernel, while stdio is just a library. This means for example, that after an exec, the child inherits all open file descriptors, but all old streams have become inaccessible. Since the symbols stdin, stdout, and stderr are specified to be macros, assigning to them is non-portable. The standard streams can be made to refer to different files with help of the library function freopen(3), specially introduced to make it possible to reassign stdin, stdout, and stderr. The standard streams are closed by a call to exit(3) and by normal program termination. SEE ALSO
sh(1), csh(1), open(2), fopen(3), stdio(3) CONSIDERATIONS
The stream stderr is unbuffered. The stream stdout is line-buffered when it points to a terminal. Partial lines will not appear until fflush(3) or exit(3) is called, or a newline is printed. This can produce unexpected results, especially with debugging output. The buffer- ing mode of the standard streams (or any other stream) can be changed using the setbuf(3) or setvbuf(3) call. Note that in case stdin is associated with a terminal, there may also be input buffering in the terminal driver, entirely unrelated to stdio buffering. (Indeed, nor- mally terminal input is line buffered in the kernel.) This kernel input handling can be modified using calls like tcsetattr(3); see also stty(1), and termios(3). CONFORMING TO
The stdin, stdout, and stderr macros conform to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''), and this standard also stipulates that these three streams shall be open at program startup. Linux 2.0 March 24, 1998 Linux 2.0