Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup user folder
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Backup user folder Post 303010100 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 26th of December 2017 08:29:55 PM
Old 12-26-2017
You tell us that you have a function that has worked in the future (although I don't know what time machine you used to determine that) and that it doesn't work now. But, you:
haven't told us:
  1. what interpreter is used to run this code,
  2. what it does when it worked correctly in the future,
  3. what it is doing now that is incorrect,
  4. what diagnostic messages it now produces, nor
  5. what normal outputs it now produces.
Without this basic information, it is hard for us to make any guesses as to why it doesn't work now but will work in the future!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to disable cd to other folder for a user

How to disable user for cd to some another folders other than his folders. AIX 5L 5.2 Thanks Dilip. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilippatel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup user from one server and restore to another

Hi. I have a situation here where I need to backup a users' home directory and restore onto another server. The issue here is that both servers have different operating systems and I am looking for advices on how to proceed. The source server operating system is Tru64 v5.1, and here's the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fidodido
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User should be restricted moving a folder

Hi All , Some of the users should be restricted using the MV commands on some of the standard folders. We had an issue the other day like from the standard folder structure which was set up one of the user has moved a folder to a different location and the jobs failed as the folder was not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: perlamohan
6 Replies

4. AIX

User script folder standard location ?

I am starting to accumulate a few scripts that I working on to replace operational scripts and to have a few for my personal usage. I am not an admin, just an operator. They are currently located inside the /tmp folder. I know they should not be there but since we have no system admin (someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict user to one folder alone when they log in

Can some one help me with this issue . I require to restrict a particular user to a particular folder alone when they log in. I dont want this particular user to come out of this folder. Kindly help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirbhas72
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to create folder as a user

Hi All, I am trying to create a folder in /export/home/user1 directory as a user1 but I am getting the error message as -bash-3.00$ mkdir abc mkdir: Failed to make directory "abc"; Permission denied Also I tried creating the folder but it fails too -bash-3.00$ touch abc touch: cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Temp folder Getting full while taking backup.

Hi Experts, When i taking backup of my servers in Tape Library simultaneously the Temp folder is getting full...... these file like OB2DBG*.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a folder under different user directory

Hello All, I have to write a shell script and use it in informatica. The script has to perform below actions: The script gets executed from edw user. Through the script, a DT folder has to be created under edw_sca user. Is this scenario possible through a SHELL script or not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed for creating the folder by checking today's date and, take backup using rsync command

How to create a shell script to create a folder by using the today's date to take backup using rsync command on every evening around 7 pm. Kindly help. Thanks. To be more precise, I want to create a script which matches the today's date with server's date format, if matches then creates the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakula10
2 Replies
reptyr(1)						      General Commands Manual							 reptyr(1)

NAME
reptyr - Reparent a running program to a new terminal SYNOPSIS
reptyr PID reptyr -l DESCRIPTION
reptyr is a utility for taking an existing running program and attaching it to a new terminal. Started a long-running process over ssh, but have to leave and don't want to interrupt it? Just start a screen, use reptyr to grab it, and then kill the ssh session and head on home. reptyr works by attaching to the target program using ptrace(2), redirecting relevant file descriptors, and changing the program's controlling terminal (See tty(4)) It is this last detail that makes rep- tyr work much better than alternatives such as retty(1). After attaching a program, the program will appear to be either backgrounded or suspended to the shell it was launched from (depending on the shell). For maximal safety you can run bg; disown in the old shell to remove the association with the program, but reptyr will attempt to ensure that the target program remains running even if you close the shell without doing so. OPTIONS
-l Instead of attaching to a new process, create a new pty pair, proxy the master end to the current terminal, and then print the name of the slave pty. This can be passed to e.g. gdb's set inferior-tty option. -s By default, reptyr will move any file descriptors in the target that were connected to the target's controlling terminal to point to the new terminal. The -s option will cause reptyr to unconditionally attach file descriptors 0, 1, and 2 in the target, even if the target has no controlling terminal or they are not connected to a terminal. -v Print the version of reptyr and exit. -h Print a usage message and exit. NOTES
reptyr depends on the ptrace(2) system call to attach to the remote program. On Ubuntu Maverick and higher, this ability is disabled by default for security reasons. You can enable it temporarily by doing # echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope as root, or permanently by editing the file /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf, which also contains more information about this setting. BUGS
When attaching to some curses programs, they will not redraw the screen right away, and a ^L or similar will be needed to force a redraw. Similarly, after attaching to certain programs, the old terminal will be left in an odd state, and a clear or even reset may be required before the old terminal is usable again. Attaching to rtorrent (and probably some other apps) doesn't work right (rtorrent stops accepting input) (The problem is that rtorrent is using epoll to poll stdin, and we don't update the internal reference that the epoll fd has to the old tty). Attaching to a process with children doesn't work right. This should be possible to fix -- I just need to ptrace each child individually and do the same games to it. Attaching a less(1) process doesn't work if you have a .lessfilter file, as less leaves around a zombie child in this case. This could be worked around. Bugs should be reported to the author (see below) or via the issue tracker on GitHub. AUTHORS
reptyr was written by Nelson Elhage <nelhage@nelhage.com>. HOMEPAGE
<https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr> SEE ALSO
neercs(1), screen(1) 03 Feb 2011 reptyr(1)