Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Fedora: Uninstall Java JDK 1.8 and install Oracle Java 1.7.15 Post 303009957 by Peasant on Friday 22nd of December 2017 11:59:23 PM
Old 12-23-2017
No need to uninstall anything.

Install the required oracle java using rpm.
Using alternatives command as superuser one can change the default java used.

Bare in mind, that perhaps some programs on the system rely on open java, so above change could affect those.

One could also download only required oracle java as compressed archive with all binaries and libraries required.
Create a user on the system which will utilize that java environment.
Unpack the archive under /opt/orajava (for instance)
As root, chown /opt/orajava to user created.
Setup required java options in user home directory profile file (JAVA_HOME etc.)
Configure kernel parameters for that user, depending on the application requirements/load (if applicable, defaults are often ok).

Above setup will have no effect on the system other then running new processes/code (load) under user created above and consuming disk space required.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Java in Fedora, first

For those of us who slept through the month of June, the OpenJDK 6 stack in Fedora was certified as TCK compliant. Meaning it can carry the “100% Java(TM)” moniker. Rich Sharples has a nice write-up (with a second part answering the blogosphere): In June, 2007 - Red Hat launched the IcedTea... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

help with installing java EE on fedora 14

Hi Forum Im a new to fedora and was wondering ,Can anybody direct me to a site that shows me how to install Java EE 6 SDK Update 1 (with JDK 6 Update 23) for fedora 14. NOT openjdk i need oracles java to develop a web app using tomcat 7.0 Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

What Sun Java packages are available for Fedora?

Are all of these java packages available for fedora? I use several VERY picky websites that want all of these packages to properly work. sun-java6-jre sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fonts (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to install java (jdk-74) on solaris 10?

What kind of required java type for installed? which address link, i need to download the package. i have zcat this version jdk-7-solaris-sparc.tar.Z and then installed each the packages with pkgadd -d . , but my java version still java full version "1.5.0_24-b02".is it need doanything after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aagusman
1 Replies

5. AIX

Any file to differentiate JAVA JRE and JAVA JDK

Folks, Any idea of where can I find a specific file to differentiate JRE and Java JDK installed on AIX platform :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellcisco
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fedora java classpath

What is the proper way to set your java classpath? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies
FREEMIND(1)						      General Commands Manual						       FREEMIND(1)

NAME
freemind -- A Java program for creating and viewing mindmaps. SYNOPSIS
freemind [no_options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the freemind command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has docu- mentation as a mindmap (see Help menu in FreeMind). freemind is a program that allows to create and view so-called mindmaps, as well as export them to HTML or different image formats. It also has a plugin concept to extend its functionality. OPTIONS
This program does not have any option. Just start it! ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DEBUG If this environment variable is set, freemind gives more information on how it finds its different elements, as well as some other information. JAVACMD Default value for the java virtual machine (the java command). JAVA_BINDIR If $JAVACMD is not set, the java virtual machine is searched under $JAVA_BINDIR/java. JAVA_HOME If $JAVACMD and $JAVA_BINDIR are not set, the java virtual machine is searched under $JAVA_HOME/bin/java. PATH If all $JAVA... environment variables fail, the java virtual machine command (java) is searched in the $PATH (with which). CLASSPATH ADD_JARS The $CLASSPATH variable also lets one specify additional jars, which is good, if you want to add a new Look&Feel jar (the motif one is so ugly...). Alternatively, the content of $ADD_JARS will be prepended to $CLASSPATH. FREEMIND_BASE_DIR Directory where FreeMind searches for its plugins and libraries FILES
/etc/freemind/freemindrc ~/.freemind/freemindrc freemind tries to read its environment variables from /etc/freemind/freemindrc and ~/.freemind/freemindrc, so that specific set- tings are possible at machine and user level. /usr/bin/java If all searches through environment variables fail, the java virtual machine is expected to be /usr/bin/java; if not, freemind exits with an error. SEE ALSO
The online documentation under http://freemind.sf.net/, especially the Linux related one under the Wiki page link http://freemind.source- forge.net/wiki/index.php/FreeMind_on_Linux. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Eric Lavarde deb@zorglub.s.bawue.de for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version pub- lished by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. FREEMIND(1)