Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP from AIX to Mainframe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP from AIX to Mainframe Post 303009876 by hicksd8 on Thursday 21st of December 2017 12:08:23 PM
Old 12-21-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGyaann
Not able to do FTP with out giving password. Please let me know how to use .netrc here. Also please suggest any good alternative approach
[/CODE]
There's nothing wrong with using a .netrc to avoid the need to supply a ftp password in the script if you are comfortable with using ftp and its security risks in the first place.

For a .netrc file to work it MUST be (1) residing in the home directory of the user under which the script (or cron job) is running, and (2) MUST be owned by that user, and (3) MUST have access rights so that only that user can read/write the file (typically '600').

Records in the file MUST be formatted correctly like:

Code:
machine <nodename> login <userid> password <passwd>

So an actual record might look like:

Code:
machine fred login joe password smith

if the ftp nodename is fred, the userid is joe and the password is smith.

Then when ftp is called:

$ ftp fred

ftp will first lookup the node 'fred' in /etc/hosts (or any other resolution method available) to retrieve an ip address. If that is successful ftp looks for a .netrc file in the script users home directory. If it finds .netrc it will retrieve userid/password combination for 'fred' (if it exists) and use it to make the ftp connection.

It's dead easy to see if this is working. Login as the user and interactively issue the command:

$ ftp <nodename>

and if .netrc is configured correctly it will connect instantly without requesting userid, password or anything.

Last edited by hicksd8; 12-21-2017 at 01:32 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mainframe FTP error

Hi when i am trying to ftp to a newly cretaed mainframe GDG for the first time,i am getting the following error... Verbose mode on. 200 Representation type is Ebcdic NonPrint 200 Port request OK. 550-SVC99 Return code=4 S99INFO=0 S99ERROR=38668 HEX=970C S99ERSN code X'00004379'). 550... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam99
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

ftp from unix to mainframe

hi suppose i have a file named xyz(-1) and i have to transfer(ftp) it on a Mainframe from unix,how should i do it as whenever i try to do so it says use MVS naming conventions (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashishabhishek
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

ftp from unix to Mainframe

suppose i have a file named xyz(-1) and i have to transfer(ftp) it on a Mainframe from unix,how should i do it as whenever i try to do so it says use MVS naming conventions (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp file from unix to mainframe

thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP'ing EBCDIC Characters from Mainframe

Hi All, I am new to this site, I have a requirement where in i have to FTP a file from mainframe to Unix box. The catch here is there are few Spanish characters like N with tilde(~) and a with ` etc., all other characters are coming fine but those mentioned above are not coming in a proper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harikiranr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files to target Mainframe system

Hi Experts... Greetings for the day..! I just want to FTP the files to mainframe system.. my code is not working..and also i need to put the files in a particular directory in a specific naming format... ftp -i -n ${HOST_NAME} << END_FTP user ${USER_NAME} ${PASSWORD} put ${FILE_NAME}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

7. AIX

Problems with SSH/SFTP between AIX and Mainframe

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been solved in this forum already but please do help me out if possible. Basically, I've already setup a passwordless SSH connection between 2 AIX IDs (say ID-1 and ID-2) with a Mainframe server ID (say MVSID). I'm able to successfully do an SSH from the AIX server to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sambeet
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP issues between mainframe and UNIX

Hi All, The issue is that, we have a dataset in mianframe whose record length is 153 characters. And a batch job ftpies it to the unix server(SunOS) as a test file. But the ftpied file in unix does not have a record length of 153 chars. Each record of 153 chars gets splited into two line of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hareeshkumaru
8 Replies

9. AIX

ODBC Connectivity between Oracle10g on AIX and Mainframe

Hi, I have a task of setting up connectivity between Oracle 10g (AIX) and Mainframe (1 library). Went through couple of documents, forums, blogs etc. MY understanding is ODBC Generic Connectivity is free from Oracle side. Question: (may be dumb to you) 1. Has anybody done this and would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvmani_1
3 Replies

10. AIX

AIX Forum: FTP from AIX to Mainframe

This discussion thread is an extension to what was discussed in Shell scripting section. Please refer the post for the requirement: Requirement Post - Click Here The whole thread - Click Here I would like to know how I can use NDM to transfer file from AIX to Mainframe and to verify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechGyaann
3 Replies