Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Stuck with menu in select
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stuck with menu in select Post 303009537 by lamby22 on Friday 15th of December 2017 12:43:19 PM
Old 12-15-2017
Hammer & Screwdriver

hi dan,
sorry i wasn't clear sounded good in my head.
i have a group of files in the directory mytest/folder1 inside that folder are multiple files
i would like to only pull out certain files(files1.*) from folder and list them but the files sometime change i may pull out 3 one time or 7 the next depends on what i am selecting

example (take the files that have files1.* only out
Code:
mytest/folder1/ 
                     files1.1
                     files1.2 
                     files1.3 
                     testmyfile 
                     thefiletest
                     other

output this time would be this
Code:
1) files1.1
2) files1.2
3) files1.3

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, output, file hierarchies, and code segments as required by the forum rules you agreed to when you joined the UNIX & Linux Forums. Without them leading spaces and tabs and trailing spaces and tabs are discarded completely, and adjacent combinations of other spaces and tabs are all coalesced into a single space.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-15-2017 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Menu function stuck in a loop?

I having problem when I call this cleanupmenu function within a script. It continuously loops and goes to selection * That wasn't a valid selection. I have to kill it everytime to stop it. What am I doing wrong. I use this function menu in several other scripts and I don't have this problem at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic Select menu

Hi all is menu driven by SELECT can be a dynamic ? My requirement is that i want SELECT to be created on run time not predefine . The select should be created as per the no of words in a file thanks in advance rawat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawatds
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reappearing menu list using select

is there a way I can make the menu list reappear when I use select ? ----- menulist="Change_title Remove_tag Change_tag Add_line Quit" select word in $menulist #change_title remove_tag change_tag add_line quit do case $word in # first menu option Change Title ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command to build menu

Hello everyone. I am using the select command to build a menu, here is my question: Is it possible to generate a menu which contains several sections and have a separator between the sections without having a selection number generated in front of the separator? This is a sample of what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error using select menu command

Hi All, I am trying to use the select command & the menu. below mention is my script #!/bin/bash 2 3 PS3="Is today your birthday? " #PS3 system variable 4 5 echo "\n" 6 7 8 select menu_selection in YES NO QUIT 9 do 10 11 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milindb
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reprint the select menu after a selection

Hi, I am using a select in ksh for a script #!/bin/ksh FIRSTLIST='one two three four quit' PS3='Please select a number: ' select i in $FIRSTLIST ; do case $i in one) print 'this is one' ;; two) print 'this is 2' ;; three) print 'this is 3' ;; four) print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omerzzz
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select ksh menu question

I am creating a Select menu with a few options and I would like to create a "better" looking interface than just this: 1) Option 1 2) Option 2 3) Option 3 Instead, I would like something like this: *********** * Cool Script * * 1) Option 1 * * 2) Option 2 * * 3) Option 3 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Select Menu Script

Hi All, I need to develop a bash script list “list of files” and able to select if any and set as globe variable in script and use for other function. I would like to see in menu format. Example out put Below are the listed files for database clone 1. Sys.txt 2. abc.txt 3. Ddd.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format of 'select' generated menu

Oracle Linux 5.6 64-bit Given the below snippet ORACLE_SID='' PS3='Select target (test) database being refreshed: ' # while ]; do select ORACLE_SID in `egrep -i '^FS|^HR' /etc/oratab |\ awk -F\: '{print $1}'|sort` ; do if ]; then echo echo "Please enter a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)