Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk: use variable defined in begin Post 303009436 by genome on Thursday 14th of December 2017 11:25:57 AM
Old 12-14-2017
NF is going to be constant in a file for all the rows.
A file may have a different number of columns. But they are going to be consistent across all the lines.
I hope I'm making sense.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

environment variable is not defined

moved to correct thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Force Input in User Defined Variable

In a line such as: echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days How can I ensure that the user has a.) entered a number between 1-30 (not 0 or 31+) and b.) has not just hit enter (ie set it to "") and if it's entered wrong, how do I start the if statement over? I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Variable Value defined in a Script

Hi , I had a script in which there is a variable $LOG defined and I want to check where that variable is getting value from, is there a way I can check for that variable and it's value if it is defined in some other script function or script . I checked using command env and also export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somu_june
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding WHERE an environment variable is defined.

HI. I had an environment variable defined in my .bash_profile file and I deleted it. I opened a new terminal and looked inside .bash_profile and it's not there but when I type printenv MYCONFIG it reutrns what the value used to be in my .bash_profile still!! I did a grep for MYCONFIG and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defined Variable from text file

Hi Guys, I have one text file ABC.txt...It have 3 lines List=/home/klk/dir/ABC.txt Leajnk123 KJUHIO1234 IJOKIJ7676 I want use as different variable of each line.Just like X=firstline Y=Secound Line Z=Third Line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about awk - create a user-defined variable

Hi, guys, The content of file is below (from <UNIX® Shells by Example Fourth Edition>): My code is below: gawk -F'' ' { OFS = "****"; $3 = "(904)"; $8 = $5 + $6 + $7; print } ' lab3.data The result is below: So, where is the $1? Why is the variable $8 located at the wired position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get variable defined in BASH subshell outside?

I'm a BASH shell user (relatively new) I need to get a variable calculated in a subshell, outside the subshell, when it completes. I can do it, by writing the variable into a file, and then reading the file again when outside the subshell. I've tried lots of things from exporting to environmental... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goreilly
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of a variable in awk BEGIN

Hi, diffcount=`awk 'BEGIN { while ( getline < "/scripts/matt/text.server1.reference" ) { arr++ } } { if (!( $0 in arr ) ) { print } }' $TMPDIR/$(basename $0 .sh) | wc -l` if ]; then OK="OK - No change in the interfaces status" elif ]; then DIFF=`awk 'BEGIN {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
pfscut(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pfscut(1)

NAME
pfscut - Extract a rectangle out of a frame in PFS stream SYNOPSIS
pfscut [--left <columns>] [--right <columns>] [--top <rows>] [--bottom <rows>] [--width <new_width>] [--height <new_height>] [--help] [x_ul y_ul x_br y_br] DESCRIPTION
Extract a rectangle out of each frame in PFS stream. You can either specify x and y coordinates of upper left and lower right corner (the coordinates start with 0 and rise in the left-to-right and up-to-botton directions) or give a combination of the options listed below. OPTIONS
--left <columns>, -l <columns> Number of columns to be cut out from the left edge of an image. --right <columns>, -r <columns> Number of columns to be cut out from the right edge of an image. --top <rows>, -t <rows> Number of rows to be cut out from the top edge of an image. --bottom <rows>, -b <rows> Number of rows to be cut out from the bottom edge of an image. --width <new_width>, -W <new_width> Width of an output image. Note that --width can be mixed with either --left or --right option. --height <new_height>, -H <new_height> Height of an output image. Note that --height can be mixed with either --top or --bottom option. --help, -h Print a list of commandline options. EXAMPLES
pfsin image.hdr | pfscut --left 20 --top 5 | pfsout out.hdr Cut out 20 columns from the left and 5 rows from the top edge of image.hdr and save frame as out.hdr. pfsin image.hdr | pfscut --left 20 --width 400 | pfsout out.hdr Cut out 20 columns from the left edge of image.hdr, and create output image 400 pixels in width. pfsin image.hdr | pfscut 0 0 511 511 | pfsout out.hdr Cut left-upper part of the image of the size 512x512 (note that coordinates start with 0 and 512 is the last row/column that is included in the resulting image). SEE ALSO pfsin(1) pfsout(1) BUGS
Please report bugs and comments to Dorota Zdrojewska <dzdrojewska@wi.ps.pl>. pfscut(1)