Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk: use variable defined in begin Post 303009430 by genome on Thursday 14th of December 2017 11:12:36 AM
Old 12-14-2017
Awk: use variable defined in begin

Hi there,

I'm working with file more than 400K lines, 60 columns. Column count is going to be multiple of 12: 60, 12, 72 or so.
NF/12 gives me on how many iterations I've to do to check certain value.

For example: 7, 14th if only 24 columns in file.
7th, 14th and 21st if 36 columns in file.

I'd like to store and use NF/12 after calculating in BEGIN. But I can't use it.

Code:
head CHR_10_paste.info | awk ' BEGIN{ incr=NF/12 } NR>1 { print $incr }'

incr is 0 so this one-liner prints all the columns.
How do I use it later on once calculated in BEGIN?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

environment variable is not defined

moved to correct thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Force Input in User Defined Variable

In a line such as: echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days How can I ensure that the user has a.) entered a number between 1-30 (not 0 or 31+) and b.) has not just hit enter (ie set it to "") and if it's entered wrong, how do I start the if statement over? I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Variable Value defined in a Script

Hi , I had a script in which there is a variable $LOG defined and I want to check where that variable is getting value from, is there a way I can check for that variable and it's value if it is defined in some other script function or script . I checked using command env and also export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somu_june
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding WHERE an environment variable is defined.

HI. I had an environment variable defined in my .bash_profile file and I deleted it. I opened a new terminal and looked inside .bash_profile and it's not there but when I type printenv MYCONFIG it reutrns what the value used to be in my .bash_profile still!! I did a grep for MYCONFIG and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defined Variable from text file

Hi Guys, I have one text file ABC.txt...It have 3 lines List=/home/klk/dir/ABC.txt Leajnk123 KJUHIO1234 IJOKIJ7676 I want use as different variable of each line.Just like X=firstline Y=Secound Line Z=Third Line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about awk - create a user-defined variable

Hi, guys, The content of file is below (from <UNIX® Shells by Example Fourth Edition>): My code is below: gawk -F'' ' { OFS = "****"; $3 = "(904)"; $8 = $5 + $6 + $7; print } ' lab3.data The result is below: So, where is the $1? Why is the variable $8 located at the wired position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get variable defined in BASH subshell outside?

I'm a BASH shell user (relatively new) I need to get a variable calculated in a subshell, outside the subshell, when it completes. I can do it, by writing the variable into a file, and then reading the file again when outside the subshell. I've tried lots of things from exporting to environmental... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goreilly
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of a variable in awk BEGIN

Hi, diffcount=`awk 'BEGIN { while ( getline < "/scripts/matt/text.server1.reference" ) { arr++ } } { if (!( $0 in arr ) ) { print } }' $TMPDIR/$(basename $0 .sh) | wc -l` if ]; then OK="OK - No change in the interfaces status" elif ]; then DIFF=`awk 'BEGIN {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
BEGIN(7)							   SQL Commands 							  BEGIN(7)

NAME
BEGIN - start a transaction block SYNOPSIS
BEGIN [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] [ transaction_mode [, ...] ] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY DESCRIPTION
BEGIN initiates a transaction block, that is, all statements after a BEGIN command will be executed in a single transaction until an explicit COMMIT [commit(7)] or ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] is given. By default (without BEGIN), PostgreSQL executes transactions in ``autocom- mit'' mode, that is, each statement is executed in its own transaction and a commit is implicitly performed at the end of the statement (if execution was successful, otherwise a rollback is done). Statements are executed more quickly in a transaction block, because transaction start/commit requires significant CPU and disk activity. Execution of multiple statements inside a transaction is also useful to ensure consistency when making several related changes: other ses- sions will be unable to see the intermediate states wherein not all the related updates have been done. If the isolation level or read/write mode is specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET TRANSACTION [set_transac- tion(7)] was executed. PARAMETERS
WORK TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. Refer to SET TRANSACTION [set_transaction(7)] for information on the meaning of the other parameters to this statement. NOTES
START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)] has the same functionality as BEGIN. Use COMMIT [commit(7)] or ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] to terminate a transaction block. Issuing BEGIN when already inside a transaction block will provoke a warning message. The state of the transaction is not affected. To nest transactions within a transaction block, use savepoints (see SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)]). For reasons of backwards compatibility, the commas between successive transaction_modes can be omitted. EXAMPLES
To begin a transaction block: BEGIN; COMPATIBILITY
BEGIN is a PostgreSQL language extension. It is equivalent to the SQL-standard command START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)], whose ref- erence page contains additional compatibility information. Incidentally, the BEGIN key word is used for a different purpose in embedded SQL. You are advised to be careful about the transaction semantics when porting database applications. SEE ALSO
COMMIT [commit(7)], ROLLBACK [rollback(7)], START TRANSACTION [start_transaction(7)], SAVEPOINT [savepoint(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 BEGIN(7)