Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a text based game using shell script. Post 303009029 by Othmane on Friday 8th of December 2017 10:02:33 AM
Old 12-08-2017
Hello rbatte1 thank you for your answer.
- Yes it is
- So far I've gotten to the menu.
- I don't get any errors since I haven't gotten really far.
- I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.
- As I said I'm just beginning in shell scripting thus I don't have any preferred tools right now.
- Nothing really.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Poker Game

Original Code Taken from here: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/bashver2.html#EX79 The code in the above link displays 4 unique 13 cards hands. I've modified it to deal a hand unique 2 card hand to 2 different players, then deal 5 unique community cards as in Texas Holdem (3 cards, then 1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically creating text files using shell script

Hi All, I want to create a shell script which dynamically create text files. i am using the following script $i=1 while do cat > test_$i.txt done but while running the script it was stopping(the cursor not going to next step, i have to enter ctrl+c to make it stop). it is creating only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text based football game?

Is there a textbased football game (American) that I can download through ubuntu server edition? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a Text based game. Need help.

Okay so Zork sparked my interest in this. I have been learning to program for the last year and a half. I've dabbled in everything from Java to Ruby to PHP & XHTML & SQL, and now I'm on bash. I really like bash scripting. Its easy and fun. I just started two days ago. Pretty much I've been writing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Text Based Game, This Error Makes NO sense. Please help

Okay so I'm making a simple text based game that branches into different scenarios. By branching I mean branching off into whole different files with that part of the game in it. I got tired of working on scenario 1 so I'm working on scenario 2. As I get started and try to test it, I get an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Making a text based game

Hello, I am looking to make a text based game, that runs in the command window, or a window similar. I will only need to use 1 window. I read somewhere that there is libraries for this kind of thing? But I can't remember the name of them.. Can anyone point me in a direction? I will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphy
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help creating shell script with output that has 2014 calendar and 2 text items from a"fortune"

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am required to create a bash shell script with either emacs or vi. It must include the year 2014 calendar on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dandanhelpmeman
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating new users using a text file as imput (using only shell script and/or awk)

I need somebody who could help with an exercise. You have a text file called users.txt with this info inside: users.txt: user1:1234:/home/homedir1 ; user2:1234:/home/homedir2 ; user3:1234:/home/homedir3 ; user4:1234:/home/homedir4 ; The script should create an user using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcosruiz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tetris Game -- based on a shell script (new algorithm)

GitHub - deepgrace/tetris: Tetris implementation in all kinds of Programming Languages Usage: bash Tetris_Game ] ] ] ] Range: #!/bin/bash # Tetris Game // The Art Of Shell Programming box0=(4 30) box1=(4 30 4 32) box2=(4 30 5 32) box3=(4 28 4 30 4 32) box4=(4 28 4 30... (69 Replies)
Discussion started by: complex.invoke
69 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper distribution of cards in terminal based crazy8's game in bash script

When I run the following script at the bottom it say cards remaining=44...It should be=35. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've spent hours trying to get this to work and I can't go any further until this part works. thank you in advance Cogiz #!/bin/bash # Date="November, 2016" #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies
Module::Build::SDL(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Module::Build::SDL(3pm)

NAME
Module::Build::SDL - Module::Build subclass for building SDL apps/games [not stable yet] SYNOPSIS
When creating a new SDL application/game you can create Build.PL like this: use Module::Build::SDL; my $builder = Module::Build::SDL->new( module_name => 'Games::Demo', dist_version => '1.00', dist_abstract => 'Demo game based on Module::Build::SDL', dist_author => 'coder@cpan.org', license => 'perl', requires => { 'SDL' => 0, }, #+ others Module::Build options )->create_build_script(); Once you have created a SDL application/game via Module::Build::SDL as described above you can use some extra build targets/actions: o you can create a PAR distribution like: $ perl ./Build.PL $ ./Build $ ./Build par There are some extra parameters related to 'par' action you can pass to Module::Build::SDL->new(): parinput => 'bin/scriptname.pl' paroutput => 'filename.par.exe', parlibs => [ qw/SDL SDL_main SDL_gfx/ ], #external libraries (.so/.dll) to be included into PAR parmods => [ qw/Module::A Module::B/ ], #extra modules to be included into PAR o to run the game from distribution directory you can use: $ perl ./Build.PL $ ./Build $ ./Build run o TODO: maybe some additional actions: parexe, parmsi, deb, rpm DESCRIPTION
Module::Build::SDL is a subclass of Module::Build created to make easy some tasks specific to SDL applications - e.g. packaging SDL application/game into PAR archive. APPLICATION
/GAME LAYOUT Module::Build::SDL expects the following layout in project directory: #example: game with the main *.pl script + data files + modules (*.pm) Build.PL lib/ Games/ Demo.pm bin/ game-script.pl data/ whatever_data_files_you_need.jpg the most simple game should look like: #example: simple one-script apllication/game Build.PL bin/ game-script.pl In short - there are 3 expected subdirectories: o bin - one or more perl scripts (*.pl) to start the actual application/game o lib - application/game specific modules (*.pm) organized in dir structure in "usual perl manners" o data - directory for storing application data (pictures, sounds etc.). This subdirectory is handled as a "ShareDir" (see File::ShareDir for more details) o As the project is (or could be) composed as a standard perl distribution it also support standard subdirectory 't' (with tests). RULES TO FOLLOW
When creating a SDL application/game based on Module::Build::SDL it is recommended to follow these rules: o Use the name for your game from Games::* namespace; it will make the later release to CPAN much easier. o Put all data files into data subdirectory and access the data subdir only via File::ShareDir (namely by calling distdir() function) o TODO: maybe add more perl v5.14.2 2012-05-28 Module::Build::SDL(3pm)