Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Variable and awk inside for loop Post 303008817 by svks1985 on Wednesday 6th of December 2017 04:37:15 PM
Old 12-06-2017
Variable and awk inside for loop

Thanks all for taking time out and reading this thread and big Thanks to all who have come forward for rescue.

Background: I have a variable "nbrofcols" that has number of columns from a data file. Now, using this count in for loop, I am trying to get the maximum length of each column present inside the file. And, I am passing the file name at run time.

This is the file am passing at run time.

Code:
COLUMN_A|COLUMN_B|COLUMN_C
001|AAAAAA|YUYWD
002|ABCOHFOHNFN|DLDLULDNSFHCLYHNDJK
003|BCXSOHNSN|XCDFHNSH
004|ZBDIWUFHOJKSJF|DGFTSVVCD
005|ZXSEDTRWEF|XCDFHNSHDGFTSVVCD

This is what I have done so far:
Code:
nbrofcols=`head -1 $1 | awk -F'|' '{print NF;}'`
cat /dev/null > nbrofcols.txt
for ((i = 1; i <= $nbrofcols; i++));
do
  awk 'NR>1' $1 | awk -F"|" ' length("$i") > len { len=length("$i") } END { print len } ';
done >> nbrofcols.txt
:

Expected Output
Code:
COLUMN_A: 3
COLUMN_B: 14
COLUMN_C: 19

Note: Awk works on a file as a stand alone but not able to get it working in for loop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Scott; 12-06-2017 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Added code tags to data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK inside For loop

Hi, awk -F"|" 'BEGIN{sum=0}{sum+=$2}END{printf("%d\n", sum)}' css.txt awk -F"|" 'BEGIN{sum=0}{sum+=$3}END{printf("%d\n", sum)}' css.txt awk -F"|" 'BEGIN{sum=0}{sum+=$4}END{printf("%d\n", sum)}' css.txt awk -F"|" 'BEGIN{sum=0}{sum+=$5}END{printf("%d\n", sum)}' css.txt awk -F"|"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic variable assignment inside a for loop

cs1=`echo "scale=8;($css1/$css0)*100"|bc` cs2=`echo "scale=8;($css2/$css0)*100"|bc` cs3=`echo "scale=8;($css3/$css0)*100"|bc` cs4=`echo "scale=8;($css4/$css0)*100"|bc` cs5=`echo "scale=8;($css5/$css0)*100"|bc` cs6=`echo "scale=8;($css6/$css0)*100"|bc` cs7=`echo "scale=8;($css7/$css0)*100"|bc`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk appending values inside a for loop

Hi i have a 2 files say test1 and test2 with the following data. cat file test test1 i want to append the output from a awk one liner to both the files. for i in cat file;do awk '/ whats happening is its printing the output properly. but not appending the way it showing in print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable inside while loop got reset

hi, I am using hp unix server and not getting variable output present inside the while loop. I have tried changing the code and need to verify whether it is proper practice of code. I am expecting the output of varible RUN_FILE 3 to TRUE which i get inside the while loop. RUN_FILE 1=TRUE... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)