Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Simplifying awk/sed short pipeline Post 303008668 by wbport on Monday 4th of December 2017 06:05:03 PM
Old 12-04-2017
You might want to give this version a try:
Code:
rev=""
if [ $# -gt 0 ]
  then
  if [ $1 = '-r' ]
  then
    rev="r"
#   echo $rev
    shift
  fi
fi
ls -l $* |grep -v "total " |sort +4n$rev -5 +8 |more -e

It lists all files (or star name convention) in increasing size or, with "-r" as the first parm, in decreasing size. Ties are alphabetical by file name.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Obviously belongs to a different thread.UNIX commands to display the biggest file by size in a directory

Last edited by RudiC; 12-05-2017 at 06:41 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in simplifying a sed command

I need to do a substitution: CPF to ,C,P,F, CPM to ,C,P,M, SPF to ,S,P,F etc. I can do each of them with separate substitutions e.g. s/CPF/,C,P,F/ but I'd like to know if there is a more elegant solution. In general, how can I use the results of the search in the substitution, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wvdeijk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying the For loop

Is there a way to simplify stating 1 through to 10, for example in a for loop construct? for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do .... done I have tried (1-10) with no luck.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simplifying awk

tcpdump -nr testdump|awk '!/:/;gsub(/^+|+$/,""){print $3};a!~$0;{a=$0};{print $3};!/length/;/./;!/11\:/;!/8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1/;!/UDP/{b=$0} END {for (j=i-1; j>=0; ) print b };{for (i=NF; i>0; i--) printf("%s ",i);printf ("\n")}' *NOTE IN j>=0 the ; ) was given a space since a smiley is showing up...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double Spacing complex sed pipeline

my script: FILE="$1" echo "You Entered $FILE" if ; then tmp=$(cat $FILE | sed '/./!d' | sed -n '/regex/,/regex/{/regex/d;p}'| sed -n '/---/,+2!p' | sed -n '/#/!p' | sed 's/^*//' | sed -e\ s/*:// | sed -n '/==> /!p' | sed -n '/--> /!p' | sed -n '/regex/,+1!p' | sed -n '/======/!p' | sed -n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simplifying my script

Hi, Is there a way to simplify the below script? Because I am having problems executing this if I added this to CRON. Also, you may notice that its objective is to put all information in one file (rm1.txt). And in addition file "sRMR_6.txt" to sRMR_23.txt" changes its information everyday.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibora
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a short way to summarise many sed commands

Hello, I have a large number of sed commands that I execute one after the other, simply because I don't know if there's a shorter way to do it. I hope someone can help me save some time :-) These are my commands: 1.) remove all " in the file: sed -e 's/\"//g' file 2.) insert ( and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help simplifying an if statement

the code below is a small fragment of the actual line, in fact i have about 20 values i'm comparing and want to know if it can be simplified. other than the x.xx.xx format of the value they have nothing in common if || || ; then do this else do this fiany suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying sed/tr

Hi all, I don't have much experience with shell scripting and I was wondering if there's a shorter way to write this. Basically, given a list of strings separated by new lines, I want to prepend each string with a prefix and separate the strings with commas i.e. stra strb strc becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vshan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Submitting awk script into cluster short.q

Hello, I want to submit my awk script into cluster queue as my job takes about forty minutes to finish so I can not run it on the main node. My awk script is like the following and I have three files. so, I write : qsub -q short.q Myscript.awk file1 file2 file3 It submits the work into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simplifying awk script using multiple "|"

I have the following script: awk -F "," '{ if ( $4 > 450 && $4 < 550 && $5 > 0.5 ) print $2, $5; else print $2, "0" }' test.txt | awk '{a+=$2}END{for(i in a){print i, a}}' | sort -nk 1.2 | sed 1,2d and a bunch of files that look like the test file attached here. I am outputting all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)