Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to return from background process and check if it is running or not? Post 303008650 by andrew_11 on Monday 4th of December 2017 02:44:07 PM
Old 12-04-2017
@Rudi:Can you share a sample

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process return code

Hi I have the following piece of code that is calling another child process archive.ksh in the background while read file; do file_name=`ls $file`; ksh archive.ksh $file_name &; done < $indirect_file The problem is, indirect_file may contain anwhere from 2 to 20 different... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running process in background

I'm trying to install a solaris 9 patch cluster and when I try to use & to run in background it won't allow me to enter in my sudo password so it fails the install and sudo auth. Does Solaris not have screen like linux? If & will work what am I doing wrong? sudo ./install_cluster -q & is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of background process

Hi, I have a process that I run in the background that looks like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & and I would like to get the return code of the sqler.ksh script. so my code is like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & retcode=$? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background process, return code and pid.

Hey all, Okay, this one is tricky and I'm not sure there is a niec way to do it, or indeed anyway to do it. The main issue revolves around timing out a hung ssh. I am doing this by creating a wrapper script for the ssh with the following requirements. My requirements are: Defineable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return variable value from a script running in background

I have a script which runs a script in the background. Now the script running in background returns some variable value and i want to catch return value in the parent script. e.g. Parent Script : #!/bin/bash ./Back.sh & pid=$! echo "a=$a" echo "b=$b" echo "d=$((a+b))" wait $pid ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the return code from background process

Hi All, I was out not working on unix from quite sometime and came back recently. I would really appreciate a help on one of the issue I am facing.... I am trying to kick off the CodeNameProcess.sh in PARALLEL for all the available codes. The script runs fine in parallel. Let say there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass return value of a function in background process

Hi, I have created a function f1 defined in script A.sh .I have called this function in background . But I want to use its return value for another function f2 in script A.sh. I tried declaring it as a global variable, yet it always returns the status as 0. Is there any way with which I can get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
load_sample(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					      load_sample(3alleg4)

NAME
load_sample - Loads a sample from a file. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> SAMPLE *load_sample(const char *filename); DESCRIPTION
Loads a sample from a file, supporting both mono and stereo WAV and mono VOC files, in 8 or 16-bit formats, as well as formats handled by functions registered using register_sample_file_type(). Example: SAMPLE *sample = load_sample(user_input); if (!sample) abort_on_error("Couldn't load sample!"); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the SAMPLE or NULL on error. Remember to free this sample later to avoid memory leaks. SEE ALSO
destroy_sample(3alleg4), load_voc(3alleg4), load_wav(3alleg4), play_sample(3alleg4), save_sample(3alleg4), register_sam- ple_file_type(3alleg4), exsample(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 load_sample(3alleg4)