Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mv or cp with a . (dot)?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mv or cp with a . (dot)? Post 303008374 by scribling on Thursday 30th of November 2017 06:36:12 PM
Old 11-30-2017
I was quite proud of it. It works fast and efficiently. BTW there is no security issue here. I work in visual fx. We use files called cdl (color decision list) ... well if the cdl file is in the parent directory of the files you're viewing it'll load the cdl automatically. If not, you have to go find it and move it in manually. Originally, I put copies of the cdl files where they need to be and next thing I know there's a company wide email about keeping the file structure clean and cdl files don't belong in the ... So, now I just hide them. They're still there and they work just fine with the . prefix but these people can't see them and therefore don't complain. If you heard them go on and on about you'd think I rearranged the living room of a blind person. I have to do the same with any symlinks and aliases as well.
"What is this?"
An alias ...
"Why is it here?"
So you can go to that directory quickly and easily ...
"Who's it for?"
Anyone ...
"Well, we don't use these here!"
It's not hurting anyone ...
"We need to keep things consistent!"
What is the problem?

This is what I'm dealing with.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to scribling For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dot files

Hi, everyone. I'm now using rsync command, and please tell me what is the wildcard for below looks like. I want to chose dotfiles, such as .ipod .apple but i don't want to chose . and .. ------------------ .* doesn't work, of course. Thanks, Euler04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting on dot in perl

I am trying to split input that looks like ,2005-09-12 01:45:00.000000,2005-09-12 01:48:18.000000, I want to split on the dot . What I am using is ($ev_time,$rol)=split(/\./),$inputfile; This does not recognize the dot as what I want to split on. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing dot for comma

I wanted to change 34.66 to 34,66. I tried the command: sed 's/./,/' $NUM Where $NUM is a variable with 34.66 value. The output is ,4.66 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdalmeida
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable name with dot(.)

Hi, Is it possible to declare variable with name having dot(.) in it ? something like gs.test='HELLO' Thanks in advance :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopalss
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to type a dot(.) instead of character?

Hi, I want to connect a Oracle databse through unix shell script. When I will execute a shell script it will ask for user name and password to connect the databsae. At the time of entering the password field value, it willl display the characters like star(*), dot(.) instead of exact... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping numbers with dot in it

Hi, I wanted to create a script what would take two numbers out of two files and add them together, but I got stuck with greping numbers what have a dot in it. So far I have grepped the two lines what include the numbers I need (from both files) to a third file and from that file I try to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing DOT by using perl

Hi Friends, I have a variable which has a number (e.g. 12.1234). I want to remove "." (dot) from that number i.e. 121234 I want to do this using perl. Can you please guide me Thank you Anushree (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Removing a dot from a file name?

I need a script that will allow me to rename all of my files in subdir /FilesIn as follows: From kumc_835_111200.RMT.dat to kumc_835_111200RMT.dat kumc_835_111200.KMR.dat to kumc_835_111200KMR.dat .................etc How do I do that whithout doing a sed ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file with a dot

I am on hp-ux and not able to catch the file with dot using a wild card. $ touch .test $ ls -l .test -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 21 05:20 .test $ ls -l *test *test not found $ ls -la *test *test not found Why i am not able to list the file startign with .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
7 Replies
RENAME(3)								 1								 RENAME(3)

rename - Renames a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
bool rename (string $oldname, string $newname, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to rename $oldname to $newname, moving it between directories if necessary. If $newname exists, it will be overwritten. PARAMETERS
o $oldname - Note The old name. The wrapper used in $oldname must match the wrapper used in $newname. o $newname - The new name. o $context - Note Context support was added with PHP 5.0.0. For a description of contexts, refer to "Streams". RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.1 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now rename files across drives in | | | Windows. | | | | | 5.0.0 | | | | | | | rename(3) can now also be used with some URL | | | wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrap- | | | pers" for a listing of which wrappers support | | | rename(3). | | | | | 4.3.3 | | | | | | | rename(3) may now be able to rename files across | | | partitions on *nix based systems, provided the | | | appropriate permissions are held. Warnings may be | | | generated if the destination filesystem doesn't | | | permit chown() or chmod() system calls to be made | | | on files -- for example, if the destination | | | filesystem is a FAT filesystem. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example with rename(3) <?php rename("/tmp/tmp_file.txt", "/home/user/login/docs/my_file.txt"); ?> SEE ALSO
copy(3), unlink(3), move_uploaded_file(3). PHP Documentation Group RENAME(3)