Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename directory removing last characters Post 303008341 by twckfa16 on Thursday 30th of November 2017 09:45:33 AM
Old 11-30-2017
Perfect!

Thanks Scott!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing characters like ^M

I have few files in unix which are in dos format. While I am copying these files, ^M, ^@, etc characters are being generated. I tried dos2unix command in Linux and it doesn't work. I tried sed to remove these characters but they won't go. I came to about this 'tr' command and tried to use it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
16 Replies

2. HP-UX

Removing ^D and ^H characters

Hi, I have a very huge file and it contains some unprintable characters like ^H and ^D. If I try to remove using cat test1.ser| tr -d '\136 110'>newfile1 it is only removing ^and all spaces in the file. How can I remove these characters (^D ^H) and keep my spaces as it is? Thanks &... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing first 7 characters of directory names

Hi, I'm relatively new to unix, and would like to change the following files in a particular directory. The files have names like: M10_90_Phcn402_3F.ab1 M10_94_Sput402_3F.ab1 M11_92_Abrg402_3R.ab1 M10_91_Cdel402_3F.ab1 M11_90_Phcn402_3R.ab1 M12_84_Sput402_3R.ab1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename rename with characters of file

Hi, I need a bit of help. I've used awk to get the first 7 characters of a file - awk '{print substr($0,0,7)}' test.csv How do I now take this variable to rename test.csv to variable.csv ? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sianm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing directory with leading hyphen from root directory

I know that this basic question has been asked many times and solutions all over the internet, but none of the are working for me. I have a directory in the root directory, named "-p". # ls -l / total 198 <snip> drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 3 14:18 opt drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename all files at a time by appending some characters at the begining?

Hi I have a list a filename in a directory starting with particular pattern for example: abc_1234.txt abc_7565.txt abc_7676.txt abc_7765.txt i need to rename all these files by appending bck. or bck_ Expected output: bck.abc_1234.txt bck.abc_7565.txt bck.abc_7676.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursivly rename folders removing characters as required

HI guys here's hoping some on pout the can help I have a large library of epub and mobi file creates some what by calibre. Output of tree listing below I would like to recursively rename the directories removing the brackets and numbers I have been scratching my head over... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies
RENAME(2)							System Calls Manual							 RENAME(2)

NAME
rename - change the name of a file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int rename(const char *from, const char *to) DESCRIPTION
Rename causes the link named from to be renamed as to. If to exists, then it is first removed. Both from and to must be of the same type (that is, both directories or both non-directories), and must reside on the same file system. Rename guarantees that an instance of to will always exist, even if the system should crash in the middle of the operation. If the final component of from is a symbolic link, the symbolic link is renamed, not the file or directory to which it points. RETURN VALUE
A 0 value is returned if the operation succeeds, otherwise rename returns -1 and the global variable errno indicates the reason for the failure. ERRORS
Rename will fail and neither of the argument files will be affected if any of the following are true: [ENAMETOOLONG] A path name exceeds PATH_MAX characters. [ENOENT] A component of the from path does not exist, or a path prefix of to does not exist. [EACCES] A component of either path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] The requested link requires writing in a directory with a mode that denies write permission. [EPERM] The directory containing from is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor from are owned by the effective user ID. [EPERM] The to file exists, the directory containing to is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor to are owned by the effective user ID. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating either pathname. (Minix-vmd) [ENOTDIR] A component of either path prefix is not a directory. [ENOTDIR] From is a directory, but to is not a directory. [EISDIR] To is a directory, but from is not a directory. [EXDEV] The link named by to and the file named by from are on different logical devices (file systems). [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new name is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making or updating a directory entry. [EROFS] The requested link requires writing in a directory on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EINVAL] From is a parent directory of to, or an attempt is made to rename ``.'' or ``..''. [ENOTEMPTY] To is a directory and is not empty. SEE ALSO
open(2) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 RENAME(2)