Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 - Changing systems default locale Post 303008328 by psychocandy on Thursday 30th of November 2017 09:08:38 AM
Old 11-30-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by apmcd47
Try this:
Code:
$ unset LANG
$ unset LC_ALL
$ locale

I wouldn't think that you need to reboot, but you may need to reset the environment variables that define your locale. The above will show you if that is the case. If you only have a couple of terminals open you may be able to do this manually, otherwise you may need to log out and in again.

Andrew
Its Solaris 11 you can't do it this way anymore. Have to use svccfg.

I rebooted the server and it worked fine but documentation seems to imply that you don't need to do this any more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 locale setting

Hello does anybody know how to change the LC_TIME locale on solaris 8 to dd/mm/YYYY currently it is set to. #locale -ck LC_TIME d_fmt="%m/%d/%y" Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thangorn
1 Replies

2. Solaris

en_GB.UTF-8 locale - which Solaris package?

Hi, I need to locate the Solaris package that installs the en_GB.UTF-8 package in /usr/lib/locale. Can anyone tell me which package it is? I have installed all the locale related packages i can see from the Solrais 8 media but none contain the required locale. My problem is that i can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitzel
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Do I need to reboot Solaris 10 server for changes in /etc/systems ?

Hi, I have upgraded my Solaris 10 2005 to Solaris 10 2007. I am facing one bug, id: 6550904. To override this issue I have done following changes in /etc/systems: set max_uheap_lpsize = 0x2000 set max_ustack_lpsize = 0x2000 set max_privmap_lpsize = 0x2000 set max_shm_lpsize =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in locale installation through solaris 10 cds

Dear All I am in a problem where i have to install en_us locale through solaris 10 05/08 which is in 5 cds as I download from internet. when I use the following command after putting disk 1 of solaris 10 loceladm -a en_us -d /cdrom/cdrom0/s0/Solaris_10/Product It install few packages but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

5. Solaris

I can't set locale in Solaris 8

Hi gentlemen. I would change LANG=C to iso_8859_5. I have tried some variante, but it doesn't work. Thanks. (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
24 Replies

6. Solaris

change default Locale

i have a new solaris 10 enviroment and when i create new users and when i go to login using the default .profile and run locale i get the following LANG= LC_CTYPE=en_IE.ISO8859-15 LC_NUMERIC=en_IE.ISO8859-15 LC_TIME=en_IE.ISO8859-15 LC_COLLATE=en_IE.ISO8859-15... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Install Locale in Solaris 9

Hi, I want to install en_US.UTF-8 locale on a solaris 9 system, can anyone please tell me how? (command and which CD to use) ---------- Post updated at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ---------- Got it,.. 3. How do I add a locale after installing the Base Product? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris "System locale" during installation

Hi I install Solaris10 and during this process there is a question "Select the initial locale to be used after the system has been installed " There is plenty of choices and default already selected is POSIX C (C). What should I choose in this list ? Why instalator asks for this question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 8: root can't ssh to other systems.

Hi, The issue is that root can not ssh to a Solaris 8 server: Please help. Thank you in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

10. Solaris

How to set the japanese locale in Solaris 10

Pls help me to set the japanese locale in Solaris 10. I have checked JP locale has been already installed on Solaris BOX. Thanks, Karan N (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirka01
2 Replies
LOCALE.CONF(5)							    locale.conf 						    LOCALE.CONF(5)

NAME
locale.conf - Configuration file for locale settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/locale.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/locale.conf file configures system-wide locale settings. It is read at early boot by systemd(1). The basic file format of locale.conf is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments, no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options locale.LANG=, locale.LANGUAGE=, locale.LC_CTYPE=, locale.LC_NUMERIC=, locale.LC_TIME=, locale.LC_COLLATE=, locale.LC_MONETARY=, locale.LC_MESSAGES=, locale.LC_PAPER=, locale.LC_NAME=, locale.LC_ADDRESS=, locale.LC_TELEPHONE=, locale.LC_MEASUREMENT=, locale.LC_IDENTIFICATION= may be used to override the locale settings at boot. The locale settings configured in /etc/locale.conf are system-wide and are inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or individual users. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for locale configuration as well, however only as fallback. /etc/vconsole.conf is usually created and updated using systemd-localed.service(8). localectl(1) may be used to alter the settings in this file during runtime from the command line. Use systemd-firstboot(1) to initialize them on mounted (but not booted) system images. OPTIONS
The following locale settings may be set using /etc/locale.conf: LANG=, LANGUAGE=, LC_CTYPE=, LC_NUMERIC=, LC_TIME=, LC_COLLATE=, LC_MONETARY=, LC_MESSAGES=, LC_PAPER=, LC_NAME=, LC_ADDRESS=, LC_TELEPHONE=, LC_MEASUREMENT=, LC_IDENTIFICATION=. Note that LC_ALL may not be configured in this file. For details about the meaning and semantics of these settings, refer to locale(7). EXAMPLE
Example 1. German locale with English messages /etc/locale.conf: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), locale(7), localectl(1), systemd-localed.service(8), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 LOCALE.CONF(5)