Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Piping commands using xargs
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Piping commands using xargs Post 303008244 by april on Wednesday 29th of November 2017 08:09:14 AM
Old 11-29-2017
Piping commands using xargs

Need help in piping commands using xargs

I have several .tar.gz files that I need to list the folder content in a subdirectory.
For example,
Code:
a.tar.gz
b.tar.gz
c.tar.gz

The following command works great for each .tar.gz file but it's a pain to run the tar command for each file.
Code:
tar -tf a.tar.gz|grep folder1/folder2

I tried this command and failed.
Code:
ls *.tar.gz|xargs tar -tf|grep folder1/folder2

I got this error message "tar: a.tar.gz: Not found in archive" for each gz file.

What do I need to fix to run this command successfully?
Or do I need to use a different command to process all the .tar.gz files?

Thank you.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 11-29-2017 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing commands with xargs

I have a SQL script that requires values from the environment in order to execute. I found a way to get the desired results but my process is a little choppy. Any suggestions on how to clean this up would be greatly appreciated. SQL Script ------------- select a, b, c from d where a =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmopal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can Xargs execute multiple commands of evry input file

Hello , I am trying to print the footer of evry file in the given directory with xargs command like follows ls -1 | xargs -I {} gzcat {} | tail -1 now problem with this is only last file foooter is getting printed as " | tail -1 " is getting executed for the last file. I know this can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of xargs and prune piping with find command.

Can anyone interpret and tell me the way the below command works? find * -name "*${msgType}" -mtime +${archiveDays} -prune -type f -print 2>/dev/null | xargs rm -f 2> /dev/null Please tell me the usage of prune and xargs in the above command? Looking forward your reply. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Piping results of 'ls' to 'find' using 'xargs'

I'm trying to get a count of all the files in a series of directories on a per directory basis. Directory structure is like (but with many more files): /dir1/subdir1/file1.txt /dir1/subdir1/file2.txt /dir1/subdir2/file1.txt /dir1/subdir2/file2.txt /dir2/subdir1/file1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartynAbbott
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping multiple commands

Using the below code I want to find all .sff files and extract them. This works but it seems very cheap. Is there a safer more efficient way to go about this? #!/bin/bash G1=(/home/dirone) find ${G1} -type f -name \*.sff | xargs python /usr/local/bin/sff_extract.py (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping commands

Hi I am tryin to undertand piping command1|command2 from what i learn output of cammand 2 is an intput for command 1 right? If so . What dose next sequence do cat f1 >> f2 | grep '^' I think it takes context of f1 and Concatenate's it to f2 and then looks for ....i don't know..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliya24
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs: multiple commands to each argument

Hello. There is my one-liner to get subjects of potential spam mails sudo exiqgrep -bf "spamer@example.com" |cut -d' ' -f1 |xargs -I ~ sudo /usr/sbin/exim -Mvh ~ |grep 'Subject: ' I want to insert blank line after each iteration to make output more readable. I tried sudo exiqgrep -bf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper chaining and piping of commands

can someone please help me fix the below one liner? what i want to do is run a command, and if that command is successful, pipe the output of the command to another command. i'd prefer not to use any temp files for this. who -blahblah ; if ; then echo exit; fi | egrep username (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies