Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script to Compare Files and Email the differences Post 303008156 by vasuvv on Tuesday 28th of November 2017 04:23:15 AM
Old 11-28-2017
By following the forum have copied the below code.
below code displaying result. But I would like to mail the differences as attachment which can be easy to understand for any user. ( I didnt add mailx command in the below given code)
Code:
#! /bin/sh
# rt.sh

if [[ $# -ne 2 ]] ; then
echo "Need just 2 files to compare"
exit 1
fi ;

# Take the diff by ignoring the blank and whitespaces.
diff -b -w ${1} ${2} > ${1}.diff
        if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then
        echo "No files were added/removed"
        else
        echo "Files were added/removed"
        fi ;

# Process the diff file.
# A line might look like 
# < text-which-went-out
# > text-which-came-in

while read line
do
        if [[ ${line:0:2} == "< " ]] ; then
        echo ${line:2} is removed. 
        fi ;

if [[ ${line:0:2} == "> " ]] ; then
        echo ${line:2} is added.  
        fi ;

done < ${1}.diff

rm ${1}.diff

Last edited by rbatte1; 11-28-2017 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Changed ICODE tagds to CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files for a single column and output differences

Hi, I have a column in 2 different files which i want to compare, and output the results to a different file. The columns are in different positions in those 2 files. File 1 the column is in position 10-15 File 2 the column is in position 15-20 Please advise Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to compare two files using shell script

hi experts please help me to compare two files which are in different directory file1<file will be master file> (/home/rev/mas.txt} ex x1 x2 file2 <will be in different folder> (/home/rev/per/.....) ex x3 x4 the filesinside per folder i need to compare with master file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and Only show the differences

Hi experts, I'mvery new to shell scripting and learning it now currently i am having a problem which may look easy to u :) i have two files File 1: Start :Thu Nov 19 10:33:09 2009 ABCDGFSDJ.txt APDemoNew.ppt APDemoOutline.doc ARDemoNew.ppt ARDemoOutline.doc File 2: Start... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files

I have two files; file A and file B. I need all the entries of file A to be compared with file B line by line. If the entry exists on file B, then save those on file C; if no then save it on file D Note :- all the columns of the lines of file A need to be compared, except the last two columns... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files using shell script

Hi i want to compare two files and i need the o/p of only difference here the files file1 achilles aedxbepo aedxbwdm01 aedxbwdm02 albedo amarice ambrister anakin anton argon artephius asgard avatar aymara (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux/Shell script - How to compare 2 arrays based on patterns and get the differences

I have FILE 1 (This file has all master columns/headers) A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|STATUS FILE 2 A|C|F|I|OFF_STATUS 3|4|5|4|Y 6|7|8|5|Y Below command give me all headers of FILE 2 into array2.txt file paste <(head -1 FILE2.txt | tr '|' '\n')>array2.txt So I would like to compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmadhams
2 Replies
Text::WordDiff::HTML(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Text::WordDiff::HTML(3pm)

Name
       Text::WordDiff::HTML - XHTML formatting for Text::WordDiff

Synopsis
	   use Text::WordDiff;

my $diff = word_diff 'file1.txt', 'file2.txt'; { STYLE => 'HTML' };
	   my $diff = word_diff $string1,   $string2,    { STYLE => 'HTML' };
	   my $diff = word_diff *FH1,	     *FH2,	   { STYLE => 'HTML' };
	   my $diff = word_diff &reader1,   &reader2,    { STYLE => 'HTML' };
	   my $diff = word_diff @records1,  @records2,   { STYLE => 'HTML' };

# May also mix input types:
	   my $diff = word_diff @records1,  'file_B.txt', { STYLE => 'HTML' };

Description
       This class subclasses Text::WordDiff::Base to provide a XHTML formatting for Text::WordDiff. See Term::WordDiff for usage details. This
       class should never be used directly.

Text::WordDiff::HTML formats word diffs for viewing in a Web browser. The diff content is highlighted as follows:

o   "<div class="file">"

This element contains the entire contents of the diff "file" returned by "word_diff()". All of the following elements are subsumed by
	   this one.

o   "<span class="fileheader">"

The header section for the files being "diff"ed, usually something like:

--- in.txt    Thu Sep	1 12:51:03 2005
		 +++ out.txt   Thu Sep	1 12:52:12 2005

This element immediately follows the opening "file" "<div>" element, but will not be present if Text::WordDif cannot deterimine the
	       file names for both files being compared.

o   "<span class="hunk">"

This element contains a single diff "hunk". Each hunk may contain the following elements:

o   "<ins>"

Inserted content.

o   "<del>"

Deleted content.

You may do whatever you like with these elements and classes; I highly recommend that you style them using CSS. You'll find an example CSS
       file in the eg directory in the Text-WordDiff distribution.

See Also
       Text::WordDiff
       Text::WordDiff::ANSIColor

Support
       This module is stored in an open repository at the following address:

<https://svn.kineticode.com/Text-WordDiff/trunk/>

Patches against Text::WordDiff are welcome. Please send bug reports to <bug-text-worddiff@rt.cpan.org>.

Author
       David Wheeler <david@kineticode.com>

Copyright and License
       Copyright (c) 2005-2008 David Wheeler. Some Rights Reserved.

This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.

perl v5.10.0							    2009-09-24						 Text::WordDiff::HTML(3pm)