Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Student needs grep command help Post 303007963 by Don Cragun on Friday 24th of November 2017 04:54:44 AM
Old 11-24-2017
Look also at your book's description of basic regular expressions (BREs) for:
  • anchors (^ and $),
  • non-matching list bracket expressions ([^list]),
  • subexpressions (\(BRE\)),
  • repetition of expressions (*), and
  • interval expressions (BRE\{min,max\} and BRE\{count\}).
Can you combine the above concepts to produce a BRE that is anchored to the start of a line (matches zero or more occurrences of characters that are not your field delimiter followed by your field delimiter) a specific number of times to skip over the contents of a specific number of fields at the start of a line?

For example, what do you think the BRE in the following grep command will match?
Code:
grep -n '^\([^:]*:\)\{4\}[^:]*\.edu:' smallFile

Try running that command. Did it print the lines you expected it to print?
What do you think the BRE in the following grep command will match?
Code:
grep -n '1$' smallFile

What happens if you combine the above two commands in a pipeline?
Code:
grep -n '^\([^:]*:\)\{4\}[^:]*\.edu:' smallFile | grep '1$'

What happens if you use a single grep to search for both BREs?
Code:
grep -n -e '^\([^:]*:\)\{4\}[^:]*\.edu:' -e '1$' smallFile

Does one of the above two suggestions provide a logical OR of the two BREs? Does one of the above two suggestions provide a logical AND of the two BREs?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

novice student needs help

Help! I am very stuck!!! I have to produce a practical implementation of ONC RPC for an assignment and I do not know where to start. I hve done much searching on sun's site but everything is too complicated for someone with my limited knowledge. I only know the very basic unix commands and have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karen79
1 Replies

2. Linux

Student needs help...

I know taking the easy way out isn't going to help me learn anything, but hopefully it will at least give me some guidence... I have a project and here's what I have to do... A company is currently running a Digital VAX and I have to replace it with a Linux server. There are 19 terminals... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MGold4357
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Student Need Help!

Is there anyone here that can help me with my unix assignment? I've been working on it for 3 days now. It is regarding writing a script. I've got a few questions that I need some answers. Please someone who are willing to help add me to their msn messenger: **************** In one part of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaSFLiP
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

student need help!

yes im a student at Sandersville Technical College in Sandersville, Georgia. Im doing a presentation on UNIX can someone help me discribe what UNIX is and how to use it and the different features it has? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: willnadaze
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello Everyone - Student in Need of Help

Hi everyone. Let me just start off by saying I'm a college student and I love playing around with UNIX. I registered here because I have a UNIX shell scripting class and I am having some issues with my homework. I'm not looking for answers to the problems, just some help to get me on my way.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hexum311
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Student needs grep command assistance

I am a student in a UNIX/Linux classes having hard time with grep looking for assistance on some home work I need to figure out some kind of grep command to get a out put that only gives me information from a sample file and only list the people with the first name John the sample file is named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jetoutant
1 Replies