Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Student needs grep command help Post 303007950 by MadeInGermany on Friday 24th of November 2017 02:42:39 AM
Old 11-24-2017
Yes the ^ is the "beginning of the line" anchor.
Then you do not need the other \< "left word boundary" anchor.
But the \> "right word boundary" is useful so it does not match Johnny.
Even better would be the field separator, then it would not even match John-Mary. The field separator is the character : (or in the case of "space" a character set that consists of a character class [[:space:]].
For your challenge "above 3.69 below 4.0" match a 3 then a dot then a character set 7-9. Assuming that there is not a further decimal digit e.g. 3.699
Often forgotten: in a regular expression a plain . is an "any character" wildcard, so in order to match a literal dot you need to escape it \. or put it in a character set [.]

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 11-24-2017 at 03:54 AM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

novice student needs help

Help! I am very stuck!!! I have to produce a practical implementation of ONC RPC for an assignment and I do not know where to start. I hve done much searching on sun's site but everything is too complicated for someone with my limited knowledge. I only know the very basic unix commands and have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karen79
1 Replies

2. Linux

Student needs help...

I know taking the easy way out isn't going to help me learn anything, but hopefully it will at least give me some guidence... I have a project and here's what I have to do... A company is currently running a Digital VAX and I have to replace it with a Linux server. There are 19 terminals... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MGold4357
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Student Need Help!

Is there anyone here that can help me with my unix assignment? I've been working on it for 3 days now. It is regarding writing a script. I've got a few questions that I need some answers. Please someone who are willing to help add me to their msn messenger: **************** In one part of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaSFLiP
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

student need help!

yes im a student at Sandersville Technical College in Sandersville, Georgia. Im doing a presentation on UNIX can someone help me discribe what UNIX is and how to use it and the different features it has? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: willnadaze
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello Everyone - Student in Need of Help

Hi everyone. Let me just start off by saying I'm a college student and I love playing around with UNIX. I registered here because I have a UNIX shell scripting class and I am having some issues with my homework. I'm not looking for answers to the problems, just some help to get me on my way.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hexum311
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Student needs grep command assistance

I am a student in a UNIX/Linux classes having hard time with grep looking for assistance on some home work I need to figure out some kind of grep command to get a out put that only gives me information from a sample file and only list the people with the first name John the sample file is named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jetoutant
1 Replies
MATCH(1L)						      Schily's USER COMMANDS							 MATCH(1L)

NAME
match - searches for patterns in files SYNOPSIS
match [ -option ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Match searches the named files or standard input (if no filenames are given) for the occurrences of the given pattern on each line. The program accepts literal characters or special pattern matching characters. All lines that match the pattern are output on standard output. You can only specify one pattern string for each match, however, you can construct an arbitrarily complex string. When you do not specify a file, match can be used as a filter to display desired lines. Standard in is used if no files are specified. OPTIONS
-not, -v Prints all lines that do not match. -i Ignore the case of letters -m Force not to use the magic mode -w Search for pattern as a word -x Display only those lines which match exactly -c Display matching count for each file -l Display name of each file which matches -s Be silent indicate match in exit code -h Do not display filenames -n Precede matching lines with line number (with respect to the input file) -b Precede matching lines with block number REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
The following is a table of all the pattern matching characters: c An ordinary character (not one of the special characters discussed below) is a one character regular expression that matches that character. c A backslash () followed by any special character is a one character regular expression that matches the special character itself. The special characters are: ! # % * { } [ ] ? ^ $ ! Logical OR as in match this!that!the_other. You may have to use `{}' for precedence grouping. # A hash mark followed by any regular expression matches any number (including zero) occurrences of the regular expression. ? Matches exactly any one character. W? matches Wa, Wb, Wc, W1, W2, W3 ... * Matches any number of any character. % Matches exactly nothing. It can be used in groups of ored patterns to specify that an empty alternative is possible. {} Curly brackets may be used to enclose patterns to specify a precedence grouping, and may be nested. {%!{test}}version matches the strings testversion and version. [string] A non empty string of characters enclosed in square brackets is a one character regular expression that matches any one character in that string. If however the first character of the string is a circumflex (^), the one character expression matches any character which is not in the string. The ^ has this special meaning only if it occurs first in the string. The minus (-) may be used to indi- cate a range of consecutive ASCII characters; for example, [0-9] is equivalent to any one of the digits. The - loses it's special meaning if it occurs first (after an initial ^, if any) or last in the string. The right square bracket (]) and the backslash () must be quoted with a backslash if you want to use it within the string. ^ Matches the beginning of a line. $ Matches the end of a line. (^*$ matches any entire line) EXAMPLES
FILES
None. SEE ALSO
grep(1), fgrep(1), egrep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
NOTES
Even if a match occurs more than once per line, the line is output only once. Quote special pattern matching characters to prevent them from being expanded by the Command Interpreter. BUGS
The length of the pattern is currently limited to 100 characters. This limit is reduced by 38 if the -w option is used. Joerg Schilling 15. Juli 1988 MATCH(1L)