Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a long list of directories with mkdir? Post 303007909 by Corona688 on Thursday 23rd of November 2017 10:22:56 AM
Old 11-23-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by setub
To bakunin and corona688:

My result when text in file is
Code:
ms_ww_546
ms_rrL_99999
ms_nnn_67_756675

is

I hope you can see the picture. There is like a "whitespace character" after 2 of the 3 created directories.
The internet does not work that way. Sending someone else a link to "c:\users\fejoz\desktop\ttt.jpg" does not make them see your computer. You can't dump it in 'image:' contents either, not on a bbpost, only a webpage. Look for the 'attachment' button next time you want to send an image here.

But given a c:\ link, I can guess what that "whitespace character" was. You've been editing scripts and data files in Microsoft Notepad, which fills them with garbage: carriage returns. Windows ends lines on \r\n, Linux just uses \n, so the \r becomes garbage at the end of every line. xargs did exactly what you told it to. So will most other methods unless you explicitly exclude carriage returns from names somehow. Garbage in, garbage out.

To remove carriage returns from your files:

Code:
tr -d '\r' < inputfile > outputfile

inputfile and outputfile must not be the same.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-23-2017 at 11:30 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mkdir: A file or path name is too long

Hi, I have an AIX machine. I am trying to create a directory from within the script, but the message being shown is "mkdir: 0653-358 Cannot create directory 'xxx': A file or path name is too long" I am not giving any 'long' pathname to mkdir. The commands being issued within the script are: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenhorn007
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

mkdir: cannot create directory

Hi, I have network mount on two servers. One server I can create any directories without any issues, other server with the similar mount, I am not able to create directories starting with number! Creation, name start with a number: $ mkdir 1212 mkdir: cannot create directory `1212': No such... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create unique tar archives from a list of directories

I'm looking to archive a client directory from a CIFS share There are multiple directories that will be stored in a text file and I'm looking to create an individual tar archive of each folder in the directory. I've tried a number of commands to no avail. Here's what I would like. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. is it possible to create it ?

Is is possible to create the directories in following manner. for example my home dir is empty and i want to create dir a/b/c mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make directories containing subdirs using mkdir

Hello everybody, I wonder if there's a way to make a directory that contains multiple subdirectories. For example, if I want to make /home/student under the current working directory, how do I do it? Can I do it using a single mkdir command or do I have make home first, cd into it and then make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yongfeng
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan directories and create a list of files

Gents, Please can you help. I want to create a list which contends the complete patch of the location of some directories with the size of each file. need to select only .txt file In this case I am try to find the subdirectories tp1 and tp2 and create the output list. jd175-1 tp1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of "How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?"

To bakunin and corona688: My result when text in file is ms_ww_546 ms_rrL_99999 ms_nnn_67_756675 is https://www.unix.com/C:\Users\Fejoz\Desktop\ttt.jpg I hope you can see the picture. There is like a "whitespace character" after 2 of the 3 created directories. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between directories and mkdir/copy dir/file

I was trying to copy the files inside the path /home/user/check/Q1/dir/folder1/expected/n/a1.out1 and a1.out2 and a1.out3 to /home/user/check/Q2/dir/folder1/expected/n/ if n directory is not present at Q2/dir/folder1/expected/ then directory should be created first. And, script follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies
GKRELLKAM-LIST(5)						File Formats Manual						 GKRELLKAM-LIST(5)

NAME
gkrellkam-list - format of the list description files used by GKrellKam DESCRIPTION
GKrellKam lists describe a series of image sources, used in order or at random by the GKrellKam plugin. Online lists (downloadable by GKrellKam with HTTP) use this same syntax. Blank lines and comments (beginning with '#') in GKrellKam lists are ignored. Every line of text that does not begin with a tab character is considered an image source. An image source can be one of several types: image Sources of type image consist of a complete local filename to an image file. url Type url is just that; a ftp:// or http:// URL pointing at an online image file. script Type script is a system command, executed in a shell by GKrellKam when it's time to get this image. The output of the command is assumed to be a complete filename of a local image file, optionally terminated with newlines/whitespace. The corresponding image is loaded. list Type list causes a different GKrellKam list to be included in the current one. Each image source line should look like this: type: name The "type: " part of the line can be omitted for images and URLs, to make these list files backwards compatible with earlier versions of GKrellKam, but it is suggested that you specify them. It will enhance the readability of the list file. There are also properties that can be applied to types image, url, and script. Properties must follow the image source line that they mod- ify, and must begin with a tab character. These include: tooltip This sets the message shown when the mouse is kept over the image panel in GKrellKam for a few seconds. If not set, the image's filename or URL is shown instead. seconds This changes the number of seconds that an image will remain displayed. If not set, the "Default number of seconds" set for that panel in the GKrellM configuration window will be used. refresh If set, this sets the minimum length of time that must elapse before the image is re-loaded. If the image cycles up before that time, the old image will be used. For script types, this means that the script will not be re-run. For url types, the image will not be fetched using wget. When this property is not set, url images will be downloaded every time they are displayed, and scripts will be run every time. EXAMPLE
This is a simple example of a GKrellKam list. For a better example, see example.list from this distribution. # .krellkam.list # This list rotates through ~/pics/mypic[1-4].jpg along with a # webcam, and then displays the pictures in ~/lists/sub.list image: /home/paul/pics/mypic1.jpg /home/paul/pics/mypic2.jpg image: /home/paul/pics/mypic3.jpg http://www.usu.edu/webcam/fullsize.jpg [tab] tooltip: This is the building where I work image: /home/paul/pics/mypic4.jpg [tab] seconds: 4 [tab] tooltip: Don't display this one very long list: /home/paul/lists/sub.list FILES
$HOME/.krellkam.list - The default source for the first GKrellKam panel example.list - A sample GKrellKam list AUTHOR
GKrellKam was written by paul cannon <paul@cannon.cs.usu.edu>. This manual page was written by the same author for inclusion in the GKrel- lKam distribution, and may be used by others. SEE ALSO
wget(8) Dec 7, 2001 GKRELLKAM-LIST(5)