Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Capture error before pipe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture error before pipe Post 303007899 by rbatte1 on Thursday 23rd of November 2017 08:13:18 AM
Old 11-23-2017
In this case, are you looking for errors such as tar being unable to read files etc.?

You might get away with something like this:-
Code:
tar cfE - * 2>/tmp/tar.log | gzip -c > OUT.gz
gzip_RC=$?

tar_RC=$(wc -l < /tmp/tar.log)

if [ $gzip_RC -ne 0 ]
then
   echo "The gzip failed RC=$gzip_RC"
fi

if [ $tar_RC -ne 0 ]
then
   echo "The tar failed RC=$tar_RC"
fi

You don't tell us your OS, so what does your manual page say the E flag is for?

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus -s error capture

Hi folks a wee problem that requires some help. I am writing a script that allows me to automate the changing of a password in sqlplus the problem i encounter is that the code contains a case statement that allows the helpdesk to select whether to allow or deny access by switching the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w33man
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Schell script error

I work on AIX 5.x. I have a script which does lot of processing & calls multiple child scripts. How do I capture the error of the parent script if it fails? Thanks Sumeet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

database instance Error capture

I wrote a script to capture some rows from the DB. However I want to capture the errors if the DB instance is down which usually produces errors like below. What should be my approach to kill script if the DB instance is down: DATABASE ERRORS: Msg 937, Level 14, State 1: Server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe458
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture Error In SQL Plus

Hi I am trying to fetch the data from Oracle Table More my_query.sql | sqlplus -s 'scott/tiger@OrcaleSID ' | sed 's///g;s///g' > sample_file Now if the table passed in the my_query.sql is wrong or there is some other error insied SQL how i can caputure that i tried More... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to capture error while using dialog

I am not able to capture errors while I am using dialog. For example: dialog --gauge "Verifying file..." 10 75 < <( while read LINE do hash=$(echo $LINE | cut -f1 -d' ') directory=$(echo $LINE | cut -c 34-) PCT=$(( 100*(++i)/n )) echo $PCT md5deep -a $hash $directory >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamanoorsai
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to capture sftp error in Korn Shell

I am not able to capture error condition in sftp in Korn Shell #!/bin/ksh sftp batch@uat >abc 2>&1 << ENDFILE cd public put /data/WELCOME_55 ENDFILE ret_val=$? if ] then print file "copied successfully" else print file "NOT copied successfully" fi return 0 Now the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture crash out error report...

Google is not helpful here. It is probably trivial but I can't get my head around it. How do I capture an error which crashes out due to say a syntax error to a file? (Note that I manually reset error.log to zero length.) Consider this junk code:- #!/bin/sh # Launch as ./trap.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output of open pipe to a file in perl

Hi, I am trying to capture the output of the an open pipe in perl. but I am not sure how to do this. can some one please help me do that? Below is the script I am using (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Capture Informatica Error logs?

HI Team , Is there a way to capture information logs ( session or workflow ) and grep only ERROR or FAIL messages and send to email distro using mailx or sendmail option. I have around 200 sessions running on daily basis and this script has to run every day , and capture only error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the error code a use it in error table?

Hello Everyone, I have written a file validation script in unix to compare the data and trigger file.My requirement is if the file validation fails,I need to upate the error details in a table ex:Below is the one of many validation checks i am doing if then echo "Actual count between... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik adiga
3 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)