Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a long list of directories with mkdir? Post 303007783 by Corona688 on Tuesday 21st of November 2017 12:47:09 PM
Old 11-21-2017
How about:
Code:
xargs mkdir < inputfile

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mkdir: A file or path name is too long

Hi, I have an AIX machine. I am trying to create a directory from within the script, but the message being shown is "mkdir: 0653-358 Cannot create directory 'xxx': A file or path name is too long" I am not giving any 'long' pathname to mkdir. The commands being issued within the script are: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenhorn007
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

mkdir: cannot create directory

Hi, I have network mount on two servers. One server I can create any directories without any issues, other server with the similar mount, I am not able to create directories starting with number! Creation, name start with a number: $ mkdir 1212 mkdir: cannot create directory `1212': No such... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create unique tar archives from a list of directories

I'm looking to archive a client directory from a CIFS share There are multiple directories that will be stored in a text file and I'm looking to create an individual tar archive of each folder in the directory. I've tried a number of commands to no avail. Here's what I would like. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. is it possible to create it ?

Is is possible to create the directories in following manner. for example my home dir is empty and i want to create dir a/b/c mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make directories containing subdirs using mkdir

Hello everybody, I wonder if there's a way to make a directory that contains multiple subdirectories. For example, if I want to make /home/student under the current working directory, how do I do it? Can I do it using a single mkdir command or do I have make home first, cd into it and then make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yongfeng
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan directories and create a list of files

Gents, Please can you help. I want to create a list which contends the complete patch of the location of some directories with the size of each file. need to select only .txt file In this case I am try to find the subdirectories tp1 and tp2 and create the output list. jd175-1 tp1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of "How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?"

To bakunin and corona688: My result when text in file is ms_ww_546 ms_rrL_99999 ms_nnn_67_756675 is https://www.unix.com/C:\Users\Fejoz\Desktop\ttt.jpg I hope you can see the picture. There is like a "whitespace character" after 2 of the 3 created directories. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between directories and mkdir/copy dir/file

I was trying to copy the files inside the path /home/user/check/Q1/dir/folder1/expected/n/a1.out1 and a1.out2 and a1.out3 to /home/user/check/Q2/dir/folder1/expected/n/ if n directory is not present at Q2/dir/folder1/expected/ then directory should be created first. And, script follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies
gnomevfs-mkdir(1)						   User Commands						 gnomevfs-mkdir(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-mkdir - make a new directory at a VFS location SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-mkdir URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-mkdir makes a new directory at a URI location that supports the creation of new directories. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the location of the new directory in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Making a New Directory in the Home Directory example% gnomevfs-mkdir file:///home/user/newdir ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-mkdir Executable to make a new directory at a VFS location ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-cat(1), gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-mkdir(1)