Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a long list of directories with mkdir? Post 303007778 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 21st of November 2017 11:17:53 AM
Old 11-21-2017
Okay, so for just three entries or many more, a simple loop should suffice.

Question: Are the underscores part of the name, or are they markers for the next directory, i.e. do you want 1_2_3 as you have in the file or 1/2/3?

What have you tried to use as a loop so far? It would be better for you to try and we can make suggestions or corrections, so you can support it/re-use it.

Kind regards,
Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 11-23-2017 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Typo correction

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mkdir: A file or path name is too long

Hi, I have an AIX machine. I am trying to create a directory from within the script, but the message being shown is "mkdir: 0653-358 Cannot create directory 'xxx': A file or path name is too long" I am not giving any 'long' pathname to mkdir. The commands being issued within the script are: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenhorn007
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

mkdir: cannot create directory

Hi, I have network mount on two servers. One server I can create any directories without any issues, other server with the similar mount, I am not able to create directories starting with number! Creation, name start with a number: $ mkdir 1212 mkdir: cannot create directory `1212': No such... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create unique tar archives from a list of directories

I'm looking to archive a client directory from a CIFS share There are multiple directories that will be stored in a text file and I'm looking to create an individual tar archive of each folder in the directory. I've tried a number of commands to no avail. Here's what I would like. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. is it possible to create it ?

Is is possible to create the directories in following manner. for example my home dir is empty and i want to create dir a/b/c mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make directories containing subdirs using mkdir

Hello everybody, I wonder if there's a way to make a directory that contains multiple subdirectories. For example, if I want to make /home/student under the current working directory, how do I do it? Can I do it using a single mkdir command or do I have make home first, cd into it and then make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yongfeng
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan directories and create a list of files

Gents, Please can you help. I want to create a list which contends the complete patch of the location of some directories with the size of each file. need to select only .txt file In this case I am try to find the subdirectories tp1 and tp2 and create the output list. jd175-1 tp1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of "How to create a long list of directories with mkdir?"

To bakunin and corona688: My result when text in file is ms_ww_546 ms_rrL_99999 ms_nnn_67_756675 is https://www.unix.com/C:\Users\Fejoz\Desktop\ttt.jpg I hope you can see the picture. There is like a "whitespace character" after 2 of the 3 created directories. ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: setub
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between directories and mkdir/copy dir/file

I was trying to copy the files inside the path /home/user/check/Q1/dir/folder1/expected/n/a1.out1 and a1.out2 and a1.out3 to /home/user/check/Q2/dir/folder1/expected/n/ if n directory is not present at Q2/dir/folder1/expected/ then directory should be created first. And, script follow the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)