Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Set hard block limit for user using quota Post 303007764 by robertkwild on Tuesday 21st of November 2017 09:05:51 AM
Old 11-21-2017
Set hard block limit for user using quota

hi all,

i have installed quota on my centos 7 machine and its what im after (setting size limit on users, so they cant fill the hard drive)

i want to now make this part of my create user script for my sftp server so i want to do a echo and a read command so i capture the limit they enter and it puts the limit in the 4th column under hard

what i do is run the command below

Code:
edquota -u username

once its opened up the below table i just input the required hard blocks ie 900000

Code:
Disk quotas for user robw (uid 1000):
  Filesystem                   blocks       soft       hard     inodes     soft     hard
  /dev/sdb1                         8          0          0          2        0        0

is this easy to do please

many thanks,

rob

---------- Post updated at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:39 AM ----------

sorted it by running this command -

Code:
setquota -u robw 0 52428800 0 0 -a /dev/sdb1

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to robertkwild For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I check the user's mail quota?

how can I check mail quota, and then how can I send mail to user whose quota get full??? :confused: For this which script must I use? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emreatlier
8 Replies

2. Linux

How to set user quota

I've a redhat 9.0 and I want to set a user quota. but the question is where should I start from and How ??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KaiXiang
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forwarding and Quota limit!

Hi, I've a squirrel mail which is based on a Debian Linux and my Quota is 1.4Gb which is shared between my files and my E-mail. I make a ".forward" file to forward my E-mail to another mail sever (e.g Gmail). -My first question is if my quota exceeded, what happened to my E-mails. Are they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Set quota on directories

Hi all, Is it possible to set a quota on subfolders? I understand it can be set on file system level, how bout on individual folders? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enable user quota

hi! i would like to enable user quota on my system (FreeBSD 6.2) i've check on enabling user quota here but i still confuse with fstab it shows there: /dev/da1s2g /home ufs rw,userquota 1 2 but my current /etc/fstab : # Device Mountpoint FStype Options ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdns
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

User quota

Hi, I want to apply the user quota, but i am unable to apply the quota to user. Kindly provide the guide line, so that i can sortout the problem. Step 1: Create partion on device #fdisk /dev/sda (because hard disk is scsi) #n (new partition table) i.e /dev/sda8. #p ( to print the partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

To set quota on a folder

Hi guys, I know that we can set quota limit for an OS user on a filesystem. But I have a different objective to achieve - can we set a limit on a folder on a filesystem. Let use I have a 'apps' folder in some filesystem. Disc space occupied by 'apps' should not be more that 5GB. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lvm user quota

Whats the best method of setting lvm user quota? I saw both of these and I am not sure which to use. Linux File System Quotas Howtos Linux-Vserver With LVM And Quotas - 5dollarwhitebox.org Media Wiki (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The block size in my quota is showed wrong

The block size in my home directory is showed wrong when I use "quota" command. It shows I use 1.2 gb ( about 1200000) while the real size in my directory which I use "du" command is 96 MB I really confused. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsecmaniac
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the USER Quota in SSH

How the User Quota query from an SSH access to Linux Shell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linuxmann
5 Replies
RQUOTAD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							RQUOTAD(8)

NAME
quota_nld - quota netlink message daemon SYNOPSIS
quota_nld [[ -D | -C ][ -F ][ -b ]] DESCRIPTION
quota_nld listens on netlink socket and processes received quota warnings. By default quota_nld forwards warning messages to both the sys- tem's DBUS (so that the desktop manager can display a dialog) and the last-accessed terminal of the user to whom each warning is directed. Either of these destinations can be disabled with the -D and -C options, respectively. In the case of the user's terminal, quota messages about falling below the hard and soft limits are not sent unless the -b option is speci- fied. In the case of the DBUS, all quota messages are sent. Note, that you have to enable the kernel support for sending quota messages over netlink (in Filesystems->Quota menu). OPTIONS
-V, --version Show version of quota tools and exit. -h, --help Show a usage message and exit. -D, --no-dbus Do not forward quota warnings to DBUS. -C, --no-console Do not print quota warnings to the user's last-accessed terminal. -b, --print-below If quota warnings are printed to users' terminals, include messages about falling below their hard and soft limits. -F, --foreground Run daemon in foreground (may be useful for debugging purposes). SEE ALSO
quota(1), netlink(7), dbus.freedesktop.org RQUOTAD(8)