Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh hidden characters in variables Post 303007657 by user052009 on Sunday 19th of November 2017 02:56:26 PM
Old 11-19-2017
I can only imagine I somehow pressed shift alt (on a mac) along with - when typing that in. It was the only place it occurred. It's great to now have an approach for working this out. Thanks guys.

Last edited by user052009; 11-19-2017 at 07:47 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

missing hidden characters

I made a small change to a UNIX script. When I tried to run it I received the following message: /bin/ksh: ^M: not found /bin/ksh: ^M: not found /bin/ksh: ^M: not found As ^M is a non printing character, I don't know how to discover where it is missing. How can I correct thiis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SUSANR9999
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hidden Characters

Hello all, I have two files, that I suspect may contain hidden characters (EG, three spaces instead of a tab). Does anyone know of any tool that can display this (I have tried using diff, but I'm not quite sure it would do the job) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hidden Characters

Hello All, I'm trying to parse through a file and display all the hidden characters, including all carriage and line returns. I usually use cat -v, but this doesn't display the carriage and line returns. Does anyone know how this can be done? Thanks Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

hidden characters added to commands

Hello everybody. Im really new in shell scripting. Im working with RedHat 4. I have begin to do some scripts to test the posibilitys but Im fancing a disturbing problem. some times the lines that I write add the return character or end-of-file ascii character to the command or argument tha... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josebenitez
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see hidden characters.....

I know that cat -v will show me hidden characters in a file.... I for some reason seem to think that there's a bash command that will show me hidden characters in a variable in a script? Or am I just imagining it? Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hidden characters when pasting in vi/vim

Hello everyone. When I copy some configuration settings string from MS_Word to putty from my personal pc to a remote machine, it appears that I copy some hidden symbols, which at first, cannot be seen and appear as hidden. Some java programs did not start, and after investigation I found that: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
readkey(3alleg4)                                                  Allegro manual                                                  readkey(3alleg4)

NAME
readkey - Returns the next character from the keyboard buffer. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int readkey(); DESCRIPTION
Returns the next character from the keyboard buffer, in ASCII format. If the buffer is empty, it waits until a key is pressed. You can see if there are queued keypresses with keypressed(). The low byte of the return value contains the ASCII code of the key, and the high byte the scancode. The scancode remains the same whatever the state of the shift, ctrl and alt keys, while the ASCII code is affected by shift and ctrl in the normal way (shift changes case, ctrl+letter gives the position of that letter in the alphabet, eg. ctrl+A = 1, ctrl+B = 2, etc). Pressing alt+key returns only the scan- code, with a zero ASCII code in the low byte. For example: int val; ... val = readkey(); if ((val & 0xff) == 'd') /* by ASCII code */ allegro_message("You pressed 'd' "); if ((val >> 8) == KEY_SPACE) /* by scancode */ allegro_message("You pressed Space "); if ((val & 0xff) == 3) /* ctrl+letter */ allegro_message("You pressed Control+C "); if (val == (KEY_X << 8)) /* alt+letter */ allegro_message("You pressed Alt+X "); This function cannot return character values greater than 255. If you need to read Unicode input, use ureadkey() instead. SEE ALSO
install_keyboard(3alleg4), ureadkey(3alleg4), keypressed(3alleg4), clear_keybuf(3alleg4), simulate_keypress(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 readkey(3alleg4)