Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Switching to user to stop db
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Switching to user to stop db Post 303007539 by Scott on Friday 17th of November 2017 02:27:57 PM
Old 11-17-2017
Looking at your command prompt, you're logged in as jeff, yet the PAM config is looking for archive?

Would it not be better to use the wheel group rather than individual users?

Code:
auth           sufficient      pam_wheel.so trust use_uid

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching to single-user mode

Hello everyone, I need to make a OS full backup. I am using the vdump command but first, I must to switch to the single-user mode. I am working on a Compaq Tru64 Unix V4.0G. Please, could somebody tell me which is/are the commands to do it? I appreciate your help Gastón (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmoyano
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching between root and a normal user

I am writing a script that has some tasks that must be run as root, then set of tasks to be run as normal user, then again as root. is there a way to switch between users in a script? any other alternatives? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP - switching user syntax

Running the following shell script, #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x swdofile=/opt/SWDO_IN1V01P001_1.csv USER='myusername' PASSWD='mypassword' HOST='myhostname' ftp -n $HOST << SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD su - BRA -c put $swdofile quit SCRIPT exit 0 but not managing to get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching user from root to ordinary user

Good day Guys!!! I am currently making a script in AIX, the script runs a SAS job, the owner of the script is the root, but the SAS jobs cannot be run by the root, as it should be run by a user 'sasia'. But inside the script, root creates a logfile, so what I need is just to su to sasia for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasia
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching to another user in shell script...

Hi, I have a shell script in which I need to switch to another user and execute some commands and then come back to the original user. To make it more clear - I have to log in as user root then 'su' to jag - execute a script called backup.sh and then logout and come back to root again.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjagadeesh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

su (switching to other user)

Hi, what is the use of the double quotes and !! in the following code segment: su - user1 << ""!! > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "welcome user1" EOF !! also what is the difference between below: su - user1 << ""!! > /dev/null 2>&1 and su - $USER << ""!!!> /dev/null 2>&1. Note: $USER =... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

su (switching to other user)

Hi, what is the use of the double quotes and !! in the following code segment: su - user1 << ""!! > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "welcome user1" EOF !! also what is the difference between below: su - user1 << ""!! > /dev/null 2>&1 and su - $USER << ""!!!> /dev/null 2>&1. Note: $USER =... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Switching user in AIX 5

I need to do a switch user in an automated mode and do a ftp using that switched id. Scenario: initial login xx. switch to user-yy without manually entering the password. ftp some files from user yy to another user zz - automated mode. Can any unix experts can help me for my above query? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjdarm
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching user

I need to do a switch user in an automated mode and do a ftp using that switched id. Scenario: initial login xx. switch to user-yy without manually entering the password. ftp some files from user yy to another user zz - automated mode. Can any unix experts can help me for my above query? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdarm
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)						     Linux-PAM							 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)

NAME
pam_succeed_if - test account characteristics SYNOPSIS
pam_succeed_if.so [flag...] [condition...] DESCRIPTION
pam_succeed_if.so is designed to succeed or fail authentication based on characteristics of the account belonging to the user being authenticated. One use is to select whether to load other modules based on this test. The module should be given one or more conditions as module arguments, and authentication will succeed only if all of the conditions are met. OPTIONS
The following flags are supported: debug Turns on debugging messages sent to syslog. use_uid Evaluate conditions using the account of the user whose UID the application is running under instead of the user being authenticated. quiet Don't log failure or success to the system log. quiet_fail Don't log failure to the system log. quiet_success Don't log success to the system log. audit Log unknown users to the system log. Conditions are three words: a field, a test, and a value to test for. Available fields are user, uid, gid, shell, home and service: field < number Field has a value numerically less than number. field <= number Field has a value numerically less than or equal to number. field eq number Field has a value numerically equal to number. field >= number Field has a value numerically greater than or equal to number. field > number Field has a value numerically greater than number. field ne number Field has a value numerically different from number. field = string Field exactly matches the given string. field != string Field does not match the given string. field =~ glob Field matches the given glob. field !~ glob Field does not match the given glob. field in item:item:... Field is contained in the list of items separated by colons. field notin item:item:... Field is not contained in the list of items separated by colons. user ingroup group User is in given group. user notingroup group User is not in given group. user innetgr netgroup (user,host) is in given netgroup. user notinnetgr group (user,host) is not in given netgroup. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
All module types (account, auth, password and session) are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The condition was true. PAM_AUTH_ERR The condition was false. PAM_SERVICE_ERR A service error occurred or the arguments can't be parsed correctly. EXAMPLES
To emulate the behaviour of pam_wheel, except there is no fallback to group 0: auth required pam_succeed_if.so quiet user ingroup wheel Given that the type matches, only loads the othermodule rule if the UID is over 500. Adjust the number after default to skip several rules. type [default=1 success=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so quiet uid > 500 type required othermodule.so arguments... SEE ALSO
glob(7), pam(7) AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Linux-PAM 06/04/2011 PAM_SUCCEED_IF(8)