Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Python - store output of command to a variable Post 303007512 by apmcd47 on Friday 17th of November 2017 10:15:18 AM
Old 11-17-2017
Try this:
Code:
server_description = "This is xyz abc of mno CentOS"
my_Check = "CentOS" in server_description
if my_Check == True:
    print("This is CentOS")
else:
    print("This is NOT CentOS")

Don't quote the "True". By quoting the "True" you were comparing a Boolean with a string. But the truth is you don't even need that:
Code:
my_Check = "CentOS" in server_description
if my_Check:
    print("This is CentOS")
else:

Or even:
Code:
if "CentOS" in server_description:
    print("This is CentOS")
else:

As for this:
Code:
>>> server_description = "CentOS"
>>> my_Check = "centos" in server_description
>>> my_Check
False
>>> my_Check = "CentOS" in server_description
>>> my_Check
True

Python is case-sensitive. "centos" is not "CentOS". If you want a case-insensitive string comparison, try:
Code:
"centos".lower() in server_description.lower()

There may be other ways.

Andrew
This User Gave Thanks to apmcd47 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store output in variable when put in background

Hi, How do I store following command output: export RESULT=`date` & It works when I do : export RESULT=`date` But what I need is when command put it background, I also need that output going to RESULT variable. Is there any way ? Thanks Sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To store the output in a variable

Hi, I am getting the following error while executing the script. Please can someone throw some light where is the problem. Many thanks. ./check: temp: not found The directory related to SEP instance 4 does not exist. The script is as follows. SEP_APP="/scp/sepx/app... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the sql query's output in a variable

Hi, My requirement is : We are calling an sql statement from a UNIX session, and fetching data into some variables from a table .. now we are unable to access these variables from outside the SQL part. Please let me know how can I achieve this. Can you please share a code snippet which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh_sasi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: How to store each output line into a different variable?

Example output: /tmp/generatelines.sh line1 line2 line3 line4 I want each output line assigned to its own variable, ie: "line1" --> $a "line2" --> $b "line3" --> $c "line4" --> $d Is this possible without writing to a temporary file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the output of "find" command in a variable?

I intend to find the path/full location of a file(filename given by user thru "read filenme") using "find" or any other command and then store it's output in a variable for some other processing. But struggling to put all things together (i.e finding the fully qualified location of that file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove column and store output to a variable

Hello guys I need to run a script to remove the last column of different comma separated files. The problem is that the number of columns of my files will be different and I won't know that number every time i run my script. Is there any command I can use to remove the last column without... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: loperam
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

date output store in variable problem

When I run following command date Output1 => Thu Sep 9 03:26:52 IST 2010 When I store in a varibale as a=`date` echo $a output2 => Thu Sep 9 03:27:02 IST 2010 The differnece is, it is trimming the space when I am storing the output in varibale. Output1 = Thu Sep 9 03:26:52 IST 2010... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravincpatil
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

store sqlplus output in variable

hi how can i store sqlplus output to a variable in sh script (not bash) Thanks MM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murtymvvs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store output to a variable

I need some help: 1) I have a out put from a shell script, the out put looks like this: Attempting privilege escalation using sudo ... List backups for CLTST: Start date Status Ret. Class Label -------------------- ------------ ------------ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samk
2 Replies
EMPY(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EMPY(1)

NAME
empy - A powerful and robust templating system for Python SYNOPSIS
empy [options] [<filename, or '-' for stdin> [<argument>]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the empy command. EmPy is a system for embedding Python expressions and statements in template text; it takes an EmPy source file, processes it, and produces output. This is accomplished via expansions, which are special signals to the EmPy system and are set off by a special prefix (by default the at sign, @). EmPy can expand arbitrary Python expressions and statements in this way, as well as a variety of special forms. Textual data not explicitly delimited in this way is sent unaffected to the output, allowing Python to be used in effect as a markup language. Also supported are call- backs via hooks, recording and playback via diversions, and dynamic, chainable filters. The system is highly configurable via command line options and embedded commands. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHOR
EmPy was written by Erik Max Francis <software@alcyone.com>. This manual page was written by Ana Beatriz Guerrero Lopez, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). EMPY(1)