Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Move files based on status
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move files based on status Post 303007195 by Peasant on Monday 13th of November 2017 10:16:21 AM
Old 11-13-2017
Please specify operating system and shell you are using.
This will help us help you.

Answering couple of questions will determine a complexity of the script required.

Do you intend to run your program scheduled (e.g. cron, at ) ?

How are files written in --FileBox Dir ?
Can a contention happen in case your script will process file which is just being copied ?

Do you need a control if the pmcmd program and your script is already processing file(s) ?

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move files into different folders based on filename

I need to move a bunch of files into folders that have the same name. I wanted to either do this with some filter command or some type of batch file that I could save that would already include all of the mv commands since I will have to do this process often. Whatever method you think is easier. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: italia5
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help in doing this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IHK
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on year of creation

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003 till now. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move ony the 2003 files to another directory. Please help (9 Replies)
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to move files based on name

Hi folks, I'm new here and appreciate greatly any help. I have a bunch of files that need be moved and renamed. Fortunately, they are all in sequence... Present filename and path: /.catalog1/t76038_842-01 Move to: /.catalog1/76038-01 So, we need to drop the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: axslinger
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files to another directory based on name

Hi Folks, I have different type of file in my current directory. From my current directory i need to move the file which is start with csp_rules and if the file is having the string payg , then I need to move all this files to another directory /output/record. Please help me how to do this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Logic - How to move files based on a condition

Hi All, I have 2 LINUX scripts (Lets say ScriptA & ScriptB) which copies files (lets say 'date_abc.txt , it goes to a while loop & checks for the files between 2 date varialbles) to directory X. (as Shown Below) These 2 scripts are called from 2 different Autosys schedules & runs at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Move files into different folders based on its month

Hi All, I want to move the files in to different folders based on the files month in the file timestamp. For example All the september files in the directory should moves into the folder "sep_bkp_files" , August files in to aug_bkp_files folder... Please help me to achive the above... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: velava
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need script to move files based on month

Hi , I need a script which moves files based on month. Example : Apr 29 03:16 log4.txt Apr 29 03:16 log5.txt May 4 09:17 log1.txt May 4 09:17 log2.txt Move Apr files into Apr2015(Folder) Move May files into May2015(Folder). This is urgent requirement , if you can help me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockingvj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)