Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Delimiter appending in a data file if we receive a less columns than expected Post 303006952 by LJJ on Thursday 9th of November 2017 09:59:07 AM
Old 11-09-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavinderSingh13
Hello LJJ,

Welcome to forums, please use code tags for your Input_file/commands/codes as per forum rules.
Could you please try following and let me know if this helps you.
Code:
awk -F"~" '{i=NF;while(i<14){val=val?val "~":"~";i++};print $0 val;val=""}'  Input_file

Thanks,
R. Singh
Hi R.Singh ., kindly help what does {val=val?val "~":"~";i++} does ?

---------- Post updated at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
There are a number of issues with your script, but that aside, I don't see any of the provided "solns" in your code.
Dear scott ., i tried the same example to execute ., and it returned the same data output, any idea what could be issue

Code:
:/data/files/jlj > cat sample.dat
a~b~c~d~12~r
a~b~c~d~12~r
a~b~c~d~12~r
a~b~c~d~12~r
:/data/files/jlj > awk -F"~" 'NF < 12 { $12 = FS; print }' OFS="~" sample.dat
a~b~c~d~12~r
a~b~c~d~12~r
a~b~c~d~12~r
a~b~c~d~12~r
:/data/files/jlj > awk -F~ 'NF < 12 { $12 = FS; print }' OFS=~ sample.dat
a/b/c/d/12/r
a/b/c/d/12/r
a/b/c/d/12/r
a/b/c/d/12/r

Last edited by Scott; 11-09-2017 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: last output had a difft output; Scott: Added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending columns on a file

My issue is the following: I have several text files, let's say 10 of them. Each one has three columns separated by a tab: Date, Time and Value. What I want to do next is to have only one text file containing the information: Date, Time, Value1, Value2, Value3, ... , Value10, where Value1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abel
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace delimiter : with '\001' in unix data file

HI can any one tell me how to replace a delimiter : with another delimiter '\001' it is a non printable octal character. thanks in adv spandu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending data at the first and last line of a file

Hi, Am trying to write a shell script which will append a header and a footer to an existing file. Header will contain details like the current date while the footer will contain the no: of records listed in the file. I know we can use the CAT command, but i have no clue abt the syntax to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brainstormer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append data in a file by using tab delimiter

Hi, I need to append the data in to a file by using tab delimiter. eg: echo "Data1" >> filename.txt echo "\t" >> filename.txt (its not working) echo "Data2" >> filename.txt. the result sould be like this. Data1 Data2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharmila_P
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending data to file

Hi. I wrote a very simple script and it doesn't work :( It is supposed to go to a certain directory, execute some command and append the output to the file "expo.dat" what it does is that it writes to the file only one entery. I dont know if Im using the write synthax for "append". Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enigma08
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending data to last line of file

A friend contacted me recently with an interesting question. We got something worked out, but I'm curious what answers you all can come up with. Given a shell script (in bash) that processes a bunch of data and appends it to a file, how would you append the date, time, and a filename to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcolmpdx
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- counting delimiter in a huge file and split data into 2 files

I’m new to Linux script and not sure how to filter out bad records from huge flat files (over 1.3GB each). The delimiter is a semi colon “;” Here is the sample of 5 lines in the file: Name1;phone1;address1;city1;state1;zipcode1 Name2;phone2;address2;city2;state2;zipcode2;comment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with data appending to a file

Hi I have a file called text.txt contains x y z when i run a command i will get output like below x 20 z 30 i want to insert x, z value in text.txt file and should be like this x 20 y 0 z 30 can anyone help me please? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to loop file data based on delimiter

My file has data that looks like below: more data.txt I wish to display each string seperated by a delimiter : Expected output: I tried the below but I m not getting every split string on a new line. #!/bin/bash for i in `sed 's/:/\\n/g' data.txt`; do echo -n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
kst(1)								       kst2								    kst(1)

NAME
kst -- plots scientific data SYNOPSIS
kst kst [ -F DATASOURCE ] [ -f STARTFRAME ] [ -n NUMFRAMES ] [ -s FRAMESPERSAMPLE [ -a ] ] kstfile kst datasource [ -f STARTFRAME ] [ -n NUMFRAMES ] [ -s FRAMESPERSAMPLE [ -a ] ] [ -P PLOTNAME ] [ -A] [ -d ] [ -l ] [ -b ] [ -x FIELD ] [ -e FIELD ] [ -r RATE ] [ -y FIELD ] [ -p FIELD ] [ -h FIELD ] [ -z FIELD ] [ --png filename ] [ --print filename [ --landscape | --portrait ] [ --Letter | --A4 ] ] DESCRIPTION
kst is a graphical data plotting tool, which includes the ability to plot live data (contiuously update the plot as new data becomes avail- able). kst may be run entirely from within its GUI, in which case no command line arguments are needed. kst has a powerful wizard for easily set- ting up new plots. In the second invocation, kst loads pre-saved plot specifications from the file kstfile and optionally may override some of the settings in that file. In the third invocation, kst displays plots of the data as directed in the default manner. Additional datasources may be specified on the command line with options for that datasource following it. Command line options generally apply to all subsequent options unless later overridden. OPTIONS
-A plot all curves in separate plots -a average frames (simple mean) when plotting with -s. --A4 use A4 sized paper for printing. Requires --print. -b plot as bargraphs. -d use points when plotting curves. -e FIELD use FIELD as the magnitude of error bars applied to the next plot. -F datasource override the datasource indicated in the kstfile and instead use datasource. -f STARTFRAME begin plotting at STARTFRAME frames into the data. Set to -1 to start at NUMFRAMES from the end of the data. -h FIELD plot FIELD as a histogram. -l use lines when plotting curves. --landscape use landscape orientation for printing. Requires --print. --Letter use US Letter sized paper for printing. Requires --print. -n NUMFRAMES plot at most NUMFRAMES frames of data. Set to -1 to indicate all of the data. -P PLOTNAME plot all plots in the plot named PLOTNAME. -p FIELD plot FIELD as a power spectrum plot. --png filename render to a portable network graphics (png) image with file name filename and quit. --portrait use portrait orientation for printing. Requires --print. --print filename print the plot to file filename and quit. -s FRAMESPERSAMPLE plot every FRAMESPERSAMPLE frames when plotting. -x FIELD use FIELD as the X-axis vector. -y FIELD plot FIELD as an XY plot. -z FIELD plot FIELD as an image. EXAMPLES
Plot all data in column 2 from data.dat. kst data.dat -y 2 Same as above, except only read 20 lines, starting at line 10. kst data.dat -f 10 -n 20 -y 2 also read col 1. One plot per curve. kst data.dat -f 10 -n 20 -y 1 -y 2 Read col 1 from data2.dat and col 1 from data.dat kst data.dat -f 10 -n 20 -y 2 data2.dat -y 1 Same as above, except read 40 lines starting at 30 in data2.dat kst data.dat -f 10 -n 20 -y 2 data2.dat -f 30 -n 40 -y 1 Specify the X vector and error bars: Plot x = col 1 and Y = col 2 and error flags = col 3 from data.dat kst data.dat -x 1 -e 3 -y 2 Get the X vector from data1.dat, and the Y vector from data2.dat. kst data1.dat -x 1 data2.dat -y 1 Placement: Plot column 2 and column 3 in plot P1 and column 4 in plot P2 kst data.dat -P P1 -y 2 -y 3 -P P2 -y 4 BUGS
Please report bugs to either the kst mailing list at kst@kde.org or to the kde bugzilla under the kst product at http://bugs.kde.org/. If you can run kst, you can easily report bugs by selecting Bug Report Wizard from the Help menu. AUTHOR
Matthew Truch <matt@truch.net> LICENSE
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the `COPYING.DOC' file as part of the kst distribution. Version 2.0.3 22 February 2011 kst(1)