Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing literal tab character from zsh to other program Post 303006947 by Scott on Thursday 9th of November 2017 09:42:52 AM
Old 11-09-2017
"\t" works also with printf, but as $'\t' works, that's probably the way to go!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

newline character, space and tab after a string

no problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angelina
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why convert 8 space to 1 tab character on unix?

Hi everybody, I'm using Hp unix tru64. I have generate one file from shell script. bus that file content pre "8 space char" convert one tab character. why? result file hex format: hex 20 20 20 20 20 to 09 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to display a tab character in variable

Hi, I'm trying to figure out a way to encapsulate a tab character, or four or five space characters into a string variable to be used in my script. I'm using the bash shell. I tried $variablename=" <string text>" but it didnt give me the output i wanted (output was still... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing screen value to a program

Hi all, I have the following question. Apparently not very difficult, but I'm not any expert. I have a program, let's say program.x, and a bash script that execute it, let's say program.sh. When the program executes it asks for a value to continue. What I want is just passing the value throw... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange tab-completion behavior with zsh in screen

I'm running Mac OS, using the latest version of zsh. I've noticed that I have funny tab-completion behavior when inside a screen session. Specifically, once I press tab, the first part of my command seems to be duplicated before the completion results are inserted. For example, if I type... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"╭─ " Character combo in $PATH causes strange autocompletion behavior in zsh

I've posted about this before, but only recently narrowed the problem down to a specific cause. Ok, first of all, the behavior: It occurs when autocompletion brings up its list (not when there is only a single option). Basically, if I were to type, say, cd ~/<TAB> I would get something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove tab character from file

I am trying to remove the tab character from a file, which occurs on two places in every line. So far I have tried the following and most are from threads in this forum: sed -i '' -e 's/ / /' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/*/ /' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/\t*/ /g' file.dat sed -i '' -e 's/*//g'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] SED - Bash - Inserting multi Tab character in the command

Hello. I am using : sed -i -e '/§name_script§/a#'"${MY_TAB11}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'The Standard way'"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'==============='"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ ' "$CUR_FILE" Is there a better way to define "MY_TAB7","MY_TAB11" in other way than : MY_TAB1=$'\t' MY_TAB2=${MY_TAB1}$'\t'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)