Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is the meaning the $ special character? Post 303006609 by drl on Saturday 4th of November 2017 07:53:39 PM
Old 11-04-2017
Hi.

Extensive use in software. See Dollar sign - Wikipedia

Also in development situations, build utility make is often used, and some variables of interest there are:
Code:
Automatic Variables that make will set after a rule match:

$@  Filename representing the target
   $%  Filename element of archive member specification
   $<  Filename of the first prerequisite
   $?  Names of all prerequisites newer than target, space separated
   $^  Names of all prerequisites, duplicates removed, spaced
   $+  Same as $^, but with duplicates removed, spaced
   $*  Stem of the target - typically file without suffix

As is often the case, fact-based questions are often best answered by searching, Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 11-04-2017 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Add make variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special meaning characters in dir names

Hello, I've had a daemon go a little bit mental and create directories using somments from a config file. The end result is I've ended up with directories with names such as #, 5625), (5725 etc etc etc... However, when I try and delete them I get syntax errors, ( not expected, rmdir #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character in Diff

Hi I am comparing 2 files (using diff command) with numerical data in them. In the output file I want only the differences which are in file2 but not in file1. Although I am getting the diffences i am also getting special characters in the output file which i do not want. Can somebody help me For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashu_r2001
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

What is the meaning of the character x in /etc/shadow file?

what is the meaning of the character x in /etc/shadow file which is lying in the encrypted password column.. i need this urgently (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJ2176
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -F for special character

a='CASH$$A' /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F "$a" *.txt It is not able to grep CASH$$A string as it contains special character $$. I also tried with /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F '$a' *.txt but still not working. I have to assign CASH$$A to a variable and serach that variable..i dont want to search the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
dynamic(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						dynamic(3)

NAME
PerlIO::via::dynamic - dynamic PerlIO layers SYNOPSIS
open $fh, $fname; $p = PerlIO::via::dynamic->new (translate => sub { $_[1] =~ s/$Filename[:ws-./\]*$/$Filename: $fname$/e}, untranslate => sub { $_[1] =~ s/$Filename[:ws-./\]*$/$Filename$/}); $p->via ($fh); binmode $fh, $p->via; # deprecated DESCRIPTION
"PerlIO::via::dynamic" is used for creating dynamic PerlIO layers. It is useful when the behavior or the layer depends on variables. You should not use this module as via layer directly (ie :via(dynamic)). Use the constructor to create new layers, with two arguments: translate and untranslate. Then use "$p-"via ($fh)> to wrap the handle. Once <$fh> is destroyed, the temporary namespace for the IO layer will be removed. Note that PerlIO::via::dynamic uses the scalar fields to reference to the object representing the dynamic namespace. OPTIONS
translate A function that translate buffer upon write. untranslate A function that translate buffer upon read. use_read Use "READ" instead of "FILL" for the layer. Useful when caller expect exact amount of data from read, and the "untranslate" function might return different length. By default "PerlIO::via::dynamic" creates line-based layer to make "translate" implementation easier. AUTHORS
Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004 by Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.18.2 2012-11-03 dynamic(3)