Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl program get a response before the program quits Post 303006503 by Don Cragun on Thursday 2nd of November 2017 08:03:24 PM
Old 11-02-2017
Is this a homework assignment for a programming class?

What operating system and shell are you using?

Other than not printing statistics at the end of a session, is your script working correctly?

Does the system you're using have the game named quiz installed? Can you give it a new quiz file to get what you want without writing a new program to do the same thing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl program question

why does below program not work? <> is producing nothing.. still waiting for input.. but i thought this would work? #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my @array2; my @array1 = ("David Veterinarian 56", "Jackie Ass 34", "Karen Veterinarian 28"); $_ = @array1; while (<>) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl program

I wish to write a Perl program that will provide a listing of files in a directory. The files must be listed in sorted order by the file name. • By default, the program displays only file names. • By default, the program lists the files in the current directory. • The program must provide the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl program

could i get any help with how to link this program together. i dont know what to put where the X's are print `flush`; thank(); #print thank header use Getopt::Std; # use declaration with the options function getopts("ld:") or usage() and exit; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire06
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calling compiled C program with Perl program

Long story short: I'm working inside of a Unix SSH under a bash shell. I have to code a C program that generates a random number. Then I have to call the compiled C program with a Perl program to run the C program 20 times and put all the generated random #s into a text file, then print that text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdkirby
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exiting a program! - perl

how would you exit out of a programm correctly, without having for the program to crash? for example print "Enter quit"; $input = <STDIN>; if ($input eq "quit") { {QUIT THE PROGRAM} } else { print "invalid input"; } one more thing, how do u exit a program "correctly", if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl program

Hi I am new to perl, i need to write a program to convert horizontal words to vertical eg: cat, dog, cow,.....(text file) this should be written as 1.cat 2.dog like this. can u pls help me to work out.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitha
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding a Perl Program

I want to traverse a durectory for a particular file. Situataion is like this. Path is ABC/a/c/g. it has around 100 folders in it. Search a directory which has word "*latest*" in its path. and then from the latest go through z/x/c to file final.html. In total, i want it to go through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemasid
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl program

can anyone help me out to write a code by connecting to the sql database and I need to print the list of tables present in the databse. any ideas please. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl math program

I have this math program on Perl and when I run it one of the math problems that comes up is 0/0 and perl makes the answer 4. How can I program perl to not include numbers /0? What I have for the division portion is: $solution = $num1 * $num2; ($solution, $num1) = ($num1, $solution); $question... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: germany1517
2 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)