Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Installing xwindow on RHEL (offline) Post 303006369 by Anjan Ganguly on Wednesday 1st of November 2017 06:01:03 AM
Old 11-01-2017
Finally I have found another strace rpm package from my linux OS deliverable CD.I have installed it from there.

---------- Post updated at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:51 AM ----------

I have a process xyz in state S in linux and I am not able to kill the process either by kill or by kill -9. I need to restart the machine and then it gets killed.I do not know why. In order to further investigate the same, I have installed strace utility to see what system calls the process is using, while in S state. Can somebody please tell me some strace commands to achieve the same. I have used the following strace command and not sure whether I am able to capture proper information or not.
Code:
strace -o file_name.out /directory/exe_file_location/exe_name 2>file_name.txt

Is it correct?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Installing Updates on RHEL 3 & 4

Is there another way to install updates on RHEL besides using the up2date utility? I have some systems that are not accessible to the internet. So, when I look for the updates that are supposed to be for my system, i dont even know where to go to download them? it just keeps bringing me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Bug hits while installing RHEL 5.5

I have one R710 Dell Box, when i try to install the RHEL on the system the installation stops with following error "Assertion (heads < 256) at disk_dos.c:486 in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed." I 'm unable to ignore/cancel the same and have hard boot the server. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

problem installing rhel 6

I have dexx xps 14.I was installing rhel6.But the installation hanged at following step initializing hardware detection................. installion didnt go further (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamapraveen
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem installing PSP on rhel 5.2 64

hi, i have a problem when i try to install Proliant support pack into a server with rhel 5.2 sv556:#/tmp/psp# ./hpsum -silent ./hpsum: error while loading shared libraries: libfreetype.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory i have already installed library... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Problem in installing wine on rhel 6-64bit

I have installled and configured wine on rhel 6 - 64bit system... When i run wine command i faced a problem : wine : could not exec wineserver and when i run wineserver command i got the following error : /usr/local/wine/bin/wineserver : /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 : bad ELF interpreter NO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anuajay1988
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Installing EBS 12.1.1 on RHEL 6.1 x86_64‏

i am in process to install R12.1.1 on RHEL 6.1. while installing pre-requisite on RHEL 6.1 i am facing following error : rpm -ivh xorg-x11-libs-compat-6.8.2-1.EL.33.0.1.i386.rpm error: Failed dependencies: libX11.so.6 is needed by xorg-x11-libs-compat-6.8.2-1.EL.33.0.1.i386 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Error throwing while installing vsftpd package in rhel 6. using rhel 6 dvd.

Hi all, Im studying rhcsa as of now, so yum installation and dependencies are messing me to not workit out. i have dual os, win 7 & rhel 6. i have tried this installation of vsftpd package with rhel 6 dvd in VM rhel 6 in win 7 as well as host rhel 6.still the same issue. below error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installing RHEL over Windows 7 or 8

Hi, Sorry if this is an incorrect place for this question but I haven't been able to find any answers by searching the forums or on google. I am in the market for a new HP Z420 workstation and HP wants a lot more money for one with the HP Linux Installer kit vs. the exact same configuration in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhopson
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Installing tmux on RHEL 6.5

Hi, I am trying to install tmux on vm allocated to me in my company . i am very new to linux. I have the root access on it. Can someone please provide the exact steps to get it installed. I tried: 1. Using yum, i get the below message. # yum install tmux Loaded plugins: security... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error installing MySQL 8 on RHEL 7

My yum install command is failing. I first did yum clean all I even tried with localinstall. Below is the error output: yum install mysql-community-server*.rpm Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager This system is not registered with an... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
strace(1M)						  System Administration Commands						strace(1M)

NAME
strace - print STREAMS trace messages SYNOPSIS
strace [mid sid level]... DESCRIPTION
strace without arguments writes all STREAMS event trace messages from all drivers and modules to its standard output. These messages are obtained from the STREAMS log driver (see log(7D)). If arguments are provided, they must be in triplets of the form mid, sid, level, where mid is a STREAMS module ID number, sid is a sub-ID number, and level is a tracing priority level. Each triplet indicates that tracing messages are to be received from the given module/driver, sub-ID (usually indicating minor device), and priority level equal to, or less than the given level. The token all may be used for any member to indicate no restriction for that attribute. The format of each trace message output is: <seq> <time> <ticks> <level> <flags> <mid> <sid> <text> <seq> trace sequence number <time> time of message in hh:mm:ss <ticks> time of message in machine ticks since boot <level> tracing priority level <flags> E : message is also in the error log F : indicates a fatal error N : mail was sent to the system administrator (hardcoded as root) <mid> module ID number of source <sid> sub-ID number of source <text> formatted text of the trace message Once initiated, strace will continue to execute until terminated by the user. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample output of the strace command: The following example outputs all trace messages from the module or driver whose module ID is 41: strace 41 all all The following example outputs those trace messages from driver or module ID 41 with sub-IDs 0, 1, or 2: strace 41 0 1 41 1 1 41 2 0 Messages from sub-IDs 0 and 1 must have a tracing level less than or equal to 1. Those from sub-ID 2 must have a tracing level of 0. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), log(7D) NOTES
o There is no restriction to the number of strace processes opening the STREAMS log driver at a time. o The log-driver records the list of the triplets specified in the command invocation, and compares each potential trace message against this list to decide if it should be formatted and sent up to the strace process. Hence, long lists of triplets will have a greater impact on overall STREAMS performance. Running strace will have the most impact on the timing of the modules and drivers generating the trace messages that are sent to the strace process. If trace messages are generated faster than the strace process can handle them, some of the messages will be lost. This last case can be determined by examining the sequence numbers on the trace messages output. SunOS 5.11 4 Oct 1994 strace(1M)