Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Password protected excel file without encryption or zipping Post 303006350 by Corona688 on Tuesday 31st of October 2017 05:45:34 PM
Old 10-31-2017
You can protect an XLS spreadsheet using the Perl Excel::Writer::XLSX module, but you'll probably have to install it first.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping with password or encryption

We currently take files (via FTP) off of a mainframe and save them as a text file on our server. This is done via a script. The next thing that is done to that text file is it gets zipped (using ZIP). This all works fine, but it doesn't appear that ZIP (the free version) has any way to password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print on a printer which is password protected

Hi, I am trying to print from HP unix machine to a Toshiba printer which is password protected. How can I print? Thanks. Anuj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anuj
1 Replies

3. AIX

File password protection/encryption

Can it be done? Ive read in a few places that the crypt program no longer exists on AIX...if its do-able please tell me how. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make script password protected

Hi All, I want to make my script password protected. i e: if somebody runs my script it should prompt for password. Can somebody help me in to execute the same?? Thanks in Advance :b: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in converting password protected excel file to csv file in unix

I need to convert a password protected excel file which will be in UNIX server to a comma separated file. For this I need to open the excel file in UNIX box but the UNIX box doesn't prompt for password instead it is opened in an encrypted manner. I could manually ftp the excel file to local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devivish
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping files <password protected>

Hie Friends, I need your help once again. I have 77 “password protected” winzip files in linux/unix server. I want to decrypt it through an automated script. Password of every file is same and it is mhd*tt. Please help me. Usually I unzip it as follows, manually one by one. unzip <file name> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protecting a Excel file.

Hi, I want to make Excel files password protected present in my Unix directory. I have a application which will basically invoke a shell script with a parameter passed. The purpose of shell script would be to pop up a box to enter password. This password will be validated against database entry... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil029
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a password protected bash script resist/refuse “bash -x” when the password is given

I want to give my long scripts to customer. The customer must not be able to read the scripts even if he has the password. The following command locks and unlocks the script but the set +x is simply ignored. The code: read -p 'Script: ' S && C=$S.crypt H='eval "$((dd if=$0 bs=1 skip=//|gpg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

DB Password encryption in config file

Hi Gurus, I need to encrypt the Db passwords which are stored in a configuration file (.txt) as below: stage_db_pwd=ABC this is test line content_db_pwd=123def This is test line 2 stg_db_name=xyz I want to encrypt all the password fields (identified by "pwd"), encrypt them in the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashishpanchal85
3 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Password protected excel file without encryption or zipping

All, I have requirement to send password protected excel file in an email from unix/linux box without zipping it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Durgesh Gupta
1 Replies
passwd(1)						      General Commands Manual							 passwd(1)

Name
       passwd - create or change password

Syntax
       passwd [-aefs] [name]

Description
       The  command  lets you or the superuser change your password.  When you enter the command, the program prompts you for the old password and
       then for the new password.  Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly.	Note  that
       the passwords are not displayed on the screen.

Your  new password must meet the length requirements specified by the superuser.  To review these requirements, refer to the file. (This is
       a read-only file.)

If your system is running with increased security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated  passwords,  or  you
       may  need  authorization  to  change your password.  At higher security levels, you may be prohibited from changing your password until its
       minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the Authorization Database.

If you are running the BIND/Hesiod service, your password will be updated automatically on the server.

Options
       -a   Supply a list of randomly generated passwords.  (See the Examples section.)

-e   Use an extended protocol when communicating with a prompter program.  As a result, the standard input and output (used by is  sent	to
	    this program.

-f   Change the finger information, not the password. The finger program provides information about current ULTRIX users, such as login and
	    terminal name, idle time and office location.

-s   Change the login shell of the password file, not the password entry.

Restrictions
       If you use a hardcopy terminal, you must destroy all print outs of valid passwords.

Examples
       The following example illustrates the -a option, which displays a list of randomly generated passwords and  their  suggested  pronunciation
       with hyphens.  The hyphens delineate the syllables of the passwords:
       passwd -a abcd
       Changing password for abcd

Here are some suggested passwords:

ryegd	       ryeg-di
       aswurku	       a-swurk-u
       ryedok	       ryed-ok
       teleccs	       tel-ec-cos
       wahislas        wa-hi-slas

Enter new password:

Diagnostics
       Password must be at least 6 characters long, password unchanged
	    Your password does not meet the minimum length requirement specified in

Warning: Only the first 8 characters of the password are significant
	    Your password exceeds the maximum length requirement specified in

Permission denied
	    You do not have the privilege to change your password. The minimum lifetime has not expired.

Password is not different enough, unchanged
	    Your new password must be different from your old password.

Password must be different than logname, and not resemble previous password
	    Your new password must be different from your login name.

Verification failed, password unchanged
	    You misspelled the verification of your new password.

Files
       Password file

Authorization data base directory

Authorization data base page

Data base service selection and security configuration file
			   Only the superuser and members of the group can access the and files.

See Also
       chfn(1), chsh(1), finger(1), login(1), shexp(1), yppasswd(1yp), passwd(5yp), edauth(8), vipw(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup
       Security Guide for Users
       Security Guide for Administrators
       "Password Security: A Case History", Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

passwd(1)