Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to check the files existence inside a directory. Post 303006253 by RudiC on Monday 30th of October 2017 10:11:41 AM
Old 10-30-2017
@rbatte1: while your proposal will work fine in an empty directory, if you're expecting one single matching file, it will fail should there be more than one. Which is not too far fetched according to what the requestor posted in post#1. So additional measures should be taken to avoid the error condition.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check for FILES existence

hi, I have a list of filenames and I want to verify if they all exist. I know "if filename" would do the trick but how do I go about a list of files? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell :: check directory existence

Hi All, I have shell script and I need to check if some directory exist. I'm don't have the information if that directory is written in upper case or lowcase or mixed. Is there anyway to check the existence of that directory by ignoring case senestive? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip files inside the directory, but not the directory itself

Hi, Im facing a problem that im stucked, I have the following structure: thales@pereirtc-vbox:/home/VfARM$ ls code config doc lib manifest.bak manifest.rel manifest.v3 ns pub if i try to execute zip -q -o arm.zip VfARM/* it will create a zip file with the folder VfARM.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for existence of file (or else sleep for x time)

Hi Forum. I have a script that accepts 3 input parameters (source directory, list file text, sleep time) and checks for the presence of files. If not there, script goes to sleep for certain amount of time provided by 3rd input. list file text contains 1 entry but may contain more (file... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check existence of a number of files and call other scripts

Hi, I am new to unix scripting and am jus getting to learn about it.. I need to know on how to check for the existence of a number of files in a path..i.e the files are ftp'ed from several other servers, should check if all the files have arrived, if not wait till they arrive..can i use a flag... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yohasini
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check existence of files in a folder

Hi I am having a problem to verify existence of files. I need to know whether or not files in a folder that begins with a name. For example all files that start with The_File_ *. I was doing it this way, but gives me error. if text -f /work/The_File_* then ... else .. fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rodrih92
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for the existence and add them from 2 different files

Hi, I have two files file1: ALEX DANY GARY TOM MARY HARRIS file2: ALEX 3 ALEX 5 ALEX 0 ALEX 1 ALEX 0 DANY 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether directory has files in it or not in shell script?

hi, I am having script in which i want to check if directory has any file in it or not. If directory contains a single or more files then and only then it should proceed to further operations... P.S.: Directory might have thousand number of files. so there might be chance of getting error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the Files existence

Hi I have a requirement to check whether the files exists, then it will call other steps in shell script. I did ls *.csv|wc -l if then checking the count of the files should be more than 1 then it will call other steps. I am getting the error that too many arguements as there n... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if files inside a text file are found under a directory

Hi all, Please somebody help me with this: I want to check if the files listed in a text file, are found under a directory or not. For example: the file is list_of_files.txt, which contains inside this rows: # cat list_of_files logs errors paths debug # I want to check if these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
3 Replies
DEBCLEAN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DEBCLEAN(1)

NAME
debclean - clean up a sourcecode tree SYNOPSIS
debclean [options] DESCRIPTION
debclean walks through the directory tree starting at the directory tree in which it was invoked, and executes debian/rules clean for each Debian source directory encountered. These directories are recognised by containing a debian/changelog file for a package whose name matches that of the directory. Name matching is described below. Also, if the --cleandebs option is given, then in every directory containing a Debian source tree, all files named *.deb, *.changes and *.build are removed. The .dsc, .diff.gz and the (.orig).tar.gz files are not touched so that the release can be reconstructed if neces- sary, and the .upload files are left so that debchange functions correctly. The --nocleandebs option prevents this extra cleaning behav- iour and the --cleandebs option forces it. The default is not to clean these files. debclean uses debuild(1) to clean the source tree. Directory name checking In common with several other scripts in the devscripts package, debclean will walk through the directory tree searching for debian/changelog files. As a safeguard against stray files causing potential problems, it will examine the name of the parent directory once it finds a debian/changelog file, and check that the directory name corresponds to the package name. Precisely how it does this is controlled by two configuration file variables DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL and DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX, and their corresponding command-line options --check-dirname-level and --check-dirname-regex. DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL can take the following values: 0 Never check the directory name. 1 Only check the directory name if we have had to change directory in our search for debian/changelog. This is the default behaviour. 2 Always check the directory name. The directory name is checked by testing whether the current directory name (as determined by pwd(1)) matches the regex given by the con- figuration file option DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX or by the command line option --check-dirname-regex regex. Here regex is a Perl regex (see perlre(3perl)), which will be anchored at the beginning and the end. If regex contains a '/', then it must match the full directory path. If not, then it must match the full directory name. If regex contains the string 'PACKAGE', this will be replaced by the source package name, as determined from the changelog. The default value for the regex is: 'PACKAGE(-.+)?', thus matching directory names such as PACKAGE and PACKAGE-version. OPTIONS
--cleandebs Also remove all .deb, .changes and .build files from the parent directory. --nocleandebs Do not remove the .deb, .changes and .build files from the parent directory; this is the default behaviour. --check-dirname-level N See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of this option. --check-dirname-regex regex See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of this option. --no-conf, --noconf Do not read any configuration files. This can only be used as the first option given on the command-line. -d Do not run dpkg-checkbuilddeps to check build dependencies. --help Display a help message and exit successfully. --version Display version and copyright information and exit successfully. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The two configuration files /etc/devscripts.conf and ~/.devscripts are sourced in that order to set configuration variables. Command line options can be used to override configuration file settings. Environment variable settings are ignored for this purpose. The currently recognised variables are: DEBCLEAN_CLEANDEBS If this is set to yes, then it is the same as the --cleandebs command line parameter being used. DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL, DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of these variables. Note that these are package-wide configuration variables, and will therefore affect all devscripts scripts which check their value, as described in their respective manpages and in devscripts.conf(5). SEE ALSO
debuild(1) and devscripts.conf(5). AUTHOR
Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>; modifications by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DEBCLEAN(1)