Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Force unmount of a SWAP filesystem left over from bad Live Upgrade Post 303006054 by mainegeek on Thursday 26th of October 2017 10:00:06 AM
Old 10-26-2017
Yes, it is an empty directory

Code:
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1] # ls -lh
total 46
drwxr-xr-x  14 root     sys           55 Oct 25 18:30 dev
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         117 Aug 24 14:12 lu
drwxr-xr-x  50 root     root          59 Oct 26 09:18 root
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1] # cd lu
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1/lu] # ls -la
total 19
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         117 Aug 24 14:12 .
drwx------   5 root     root           5 May  5 20:30 ..
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1/lu] # du -hs
   8K   .
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1/lu] #

I also cannot remove it, was hoping to than be able to brute force an umount

Code:
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1/lu] # cd ..
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1] # rmdir lu
rmdir: directory "lu": Directory is a mount point or in use
[root@spahwfm1gz:/zoneroot/spahwfm1] # rm -Rf lu/
rm: Unable to remove directory lu/: Device busy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Live upgrade Issue

Hi, I upgraded solaris 10 x86 from update 3 to update 7 with zones installed n UFS file system . The global zone was updated but the non global zone still shows update 3 what could be the reason for this and how can i update the local zones to update 7 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Can't Mount Disk / Image after bad unmount

I have had a little issue with one of my disks, the usb cacble was pulled out and one of the external drives on it would no longer mount. I used First Aid and it verified and repaired both OK / nothing to do). After lots of messing around and not being able to mount I used Drive Genius 2 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cranie
1 Replies

3. Solaris

No Space Left - Memory/Swap issue

:wall:I'm having a bit of a problem with Solaris 10u8 and one of our applications requesting memory and being told, "no space left". The break down: 24GB Physical Memory 8GB swap at the time of occurance, here's what a memory breakdown looks like: Page Summary Pages ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: aychbee45
21 Replies

4. Solaris

Live upgrade question

I want to basically update an ABE that someone created a few months back. I'm sure stuff has changed since it was made, and I was going to delete it and create a new one. But from what I'm looking at, the lumake appears like it would be a faster approach. I want to use live upgrade to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Live Upgrade Issue

I tried a live upgrade for one my solaris 10u8 server which didnt go sucessfull and after that i now have following mounts in memory. df: cannot statvfs /.alt.sol10u8_2/var: No such file or directory df: cannot statvfs /.alt.sol10u8_2/var/run: No such file or directory df: cannot statvfs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Live Upgrade Query

I am upgrading Solaris-9 Update-7 to Solaris-9 Update-9 through live upgrade. I am able to create another boot environment and have OS DVD inside server. But i am confused for, what command/path should I give for luupgrade. OS DVD is mounted on /mnt Boot environments are Solaris9old (Active now)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Live upgrade query

Hi All, Is it possible to use external san disk for creating alternate boot environment and boot from it.My root disk is about 70 gb and i want to use external san disk for 272gb to create alternate boot environment.If this is possible can you please redirect me some good documents, i had... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Live upgrade first steps

Hello Guys, I am a little confused about the first step in the live upgrade process. I will be glad if someone can clarify this for me. The pre-live upgrade patch, when do you add this patch to the OS you want to upgrade? 1. before creating the new boot environment? or 2. after creating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

9. AIX

Filesystem unable unmount

Hi all , I have issue oracle filesystem name /oracle/SID unable to unmount even though no any process are running mentioned fs .would appreciate anyone assist further high level .my system running aix 6.1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arulji
7 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)