Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Where do I start as someone who desire to become skilled in UNIX and C? Post 303005989 by WadeTam on Wednesday 25th of October 2017 02:05:06 PM
Old 10-25-2017
Very solid advice. I wish I started this way.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to start using unix

this is probably the dumbest question but it must be asked: how can i go about getting into unix? what would be a good first unix system? where can i get it? how much will it cost me? what can i do with unix? i currently use a mac at home and a win2000 pro system at work, what is better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeser
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

YO help me out with unix were do I start...

My friend told me all about this Unix program I want to know were to start out and what to do with this unix program. Really anxious to learn anything about unix.cya hope you guys read this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shinobikil
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get DF output I desire

I currently have a shell script that creates Oracle databases configured the way we want them here. One part of it allows you to choose which file system to place the database files. This is the command which works. This produces a list of file systems from which to choose. I have been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sewood
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desire structure for input file

Hello Unix gurus, I have a txt file with single columns with n no of rows.like below COLUMN1 ======= AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH . . . NNN. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who desire to have their .profile executed must explicitly do so in the crontab entry. Why?

The .profile file should be read when the user logs in. So, there should be no need to execute .profile file again in a cron job (since the cron job is run after the user logs in). Doesn't the cron require login from the user. Then, from where does the cron execute? Please help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

where to start in unix

i am new to unix.i just started learning unix on my own,could u please tell me where i can get the basic of unix. . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit243
4 Replies

7. Hardware

HTC Desire S vs HTC Desire C - USB Android tethering problem

Hi gurus, I have problem with android usb tethering (usb0 interface). I tried two phones HTC Desire C and HTC Desire S. With Desire C everything works as expected, usb0 automatically goes up and gains IP address and tethering is working (output bellow) HTC Desire C: Nov 6 23:32:36 HP-PC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get desire line?

Hi Guys, I am newbie here and greeting to all guys of unix forum, now I want to learn unix here. I have query here, we have file where file has 20 line record, now i want display 10 to 15 line row record only, then how it possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
5 Replies
posix_madvise(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					 posix_madvise(3C)

NAME
posix_madvise - memory advisory information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int posix_madvise(void *addr, size_t len, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The posix_madvise() function advises the system on the expected behavior of the application with respect to the data in the memory starting at address addr, and continuing for len bytes. The system may use this information to optimize handling of the specified data. The posix_madvise() function has no effect on the semantics of access to memory in the specified range, although it may affect the performance of access. The advice to be applied to the memory range is specified by the advice parameter and may be one of the following values: POSIX_MADV_NORMAL Specifies that the application has no advice to give on its behavior with respect to the specified range. It is the default characteristic if no advice is given for a range of memory. POSIX_MADV_SEQUENTIAL Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range sequentially from lower addresses to higher addresses. POSIX_MADV_RANDOM Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range in a random order. POSIX_MADV_WILLNEED Specifies that the application expects to access the specified range in the near future. POSIX_MADV_DONTNEED Specifies that the application expects that it will not access the specified range in the near future. These values are defined in <sys/mman.h> RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, posix_madvise() returns zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The posix_madvise() function will fail if: EINVAL The value of advice is invalid. ENOMEM Addresses in the range starting at addr and continuing for len bytes are partly or completely outside the range allowed for the address space of the calling process. The posix_madvise() function may fail if: EINVAL The value of len is zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mmap(2), madvise(3C), posix_madvise(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Jul 2008 posix_madvise(3C)