Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Linux bad superblock on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root Post 303005972 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 25th of October 2017 10:34:15 AM
Old 10-25-2017
So it's the partion 2, in Linux accessable as /dev/sda2,
but under lvm control, so you should try to repair it from a resuce system with lvm.
Stop the boot process with a few key strokes, so you get a grub menu that offers a rescue system.

If there is none, you can try to edit the normal linux system, and add rd.break to the kernel parameters, then continue the boot. It then spawns a rescue shell.

In the rescue system or in the rescue shell you must try to access the disk
The lsblk command should list a tree.
You can try to mount a part of it, probably /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root,
(create an empty directory for example with mkdir -p /mnt)
so the command is
Code:
mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root /mnt

If the mount fails with "bad superblock", then run fsck on it.

Pardon if my knowledge is rather theoretical.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

I screwed up linux really bad...

Hey, I definately screwed up my libraries, but I am not sure how. I get this error: /bin/sh: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libdl.so.2 symbol _rtld_global_ro, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference when I try to even login. I cannot even get to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farhan00
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Warning: HTFS: bad dir inode 62730 on HTFS dev hd (1/42)

Hello all. I am receiving this message on the console of a SCO Openserver 5.0.7 server. The hardware is IBM, running mirrored SCSI drives with a hot-swap spare off of an IBM Serveraid controller. I suspect that some permutation of fsck can help me resolve whatever is causing the error, but I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DoublePanic
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bad magic number on /dev/md0

Hello All, (RHEL4) Few weeks ago I had posted a message in this forum about the problem I had when I replaced my two scsi disks and tried rebuild raid1 array. I somehow managed to up the system with working raid1 array. But the main problem persisted.. i.e when I reboot the system, mounting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravinandan
0 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. AIX

Can't mount showing 0506-342 The superblock on /dev/fslv00 is dirty

Dear All Last day in Aix 5.2 server by executing # df –g I found following: Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on . . /dev/fslv00 58.00 136.70 -135% 212103 1% /sprod After shutting down by following command # shutdown –h And when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xa52000
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux EXT3 superblock recovery

Is there a way to recover or rebuild the superblock of an ext3 filesystem with out loosing data? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is /dev/mapper used for?

I see a folder named "mapper" in /dev. This folder "mapper" has some soft link to other folders. What is mapper folder used for? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

8. Solaris

File System Error: BAD SUPERBLOCK AT BLOCK 16: NUMBER OF DIRECTORIES OUT OF RANGE

Hi All, we are having a file system error in one of our servers. The server failed to boot in usual user mode. Instead boot with single user mode and requesting to run a FSCK manually to repair the corrupted. see the below output. Netra T2000, No Keyboard Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddhike G
5 Replies
FSFREEZE(8)						       System Administration						       FSFREEZE(8)

NAME
fsfreeze - suspend access to a filesystem (Linux Ext3/4, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS) SYNOPSIS
fsfreeze -f mountpoint fsfreeze -u mountpoint DESCRIPTION
fsfreeze suspends and resumes access to an filesystem fsfreeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. fsfreeze is intended to be used with hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. fsfreeze is unnecessary for device-mapper devices. The device-mapper (and LVM) automatically freezes filesystem on the device when a snap- shot creation is requested. For more details see the dmsetup(8) man page. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). OPTIONS
-h, --help Print help and exit. -f, --freeze This option requests the specified a filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transac- tions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. -u, --unfreeze This option is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. AUTHOR
Written by Hajime Taira. NOTES
This man page based on xfs_freeze. One of -f or -u must be supplied to fsfreeze. SEE ALSO
mount(8) AVAILABILITY
The fsfreeze command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux May 2010 FSFREEZE(8)