Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script Locate Word Failed Post 303005929 by SysAdminRialto on Tuesday 24th of October 2017 11:38:15 PM
Old 10-25-2017
Bash Script Locate Word Failed

I'm using CentOS 7 and I would like to know of a way to read each line and search for a specific word. For example, if it finds the word "Fail" it sends it to a variable, and pipes it to a folder on the network.

What would be the best way in making this work in a Linux environment?
I wrote a script that connects to ESXi host via SSH, and when connection is made to ESXi server, the script runs a command to check RAID 5 hard drive status.

I created cron job to initiate script to run everyday at a certain time and sends me an email displaying RAID 5 disk drive status. I am very satisfied with my results.

Now, I would like to add to my script. So when a hard drive does fail! I can be notified every hour. We have an application on the network, that we can dump text files in and as a result sends an email out every hour.

With that said. I would like new script to read each line and look for the word "fail" and when it finds the word, it will send it to a file on the network.

So far I was able to run a command and locate the word fail. But, I don't know of a way to send results to a file on the network. The command I use is this:

Code:
#find /tmp -type f -name "*.txt" -exec grep -l "failed" {} \+

The reason why I don't want to modify my current script to run RAID checks every hour is because we have more than ten ESXi host servers.

I would not like to receive fifteen emails every hour and look for a failed hard drive.

It's better to receive one email indicating a failed disk drive. I am open to new creative ideas.

Last edited by SysAdminRialto; 10-25-2017 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: My sentance didn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to locate servers

I am a newbie in shell scripting and I need to produce a script to work and achieve the following: 1) Look into the file /etc/defaultrouter , and store the value in it 2) If the value is a number, go to LIST and print out the second column corresponding to the value.(eg London) 3) If the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
5 Replies

3. Solaris

BASH installation failed

Hi expert, Installation of Bash from sunfreeware failed on Solaris 2.5.1. Help ! # /usr/local/bin/bash ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/bash: fatal: libsnprintf.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory Killed # (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to locate Thunderbird message filter

#!/bin/sh #Finds the directory where usually the message folder information is for Thunderbird. clear cd ~/ cd .thunderbird dir=$(dir) echo $dir echo "What is the name of your .default directory?" read userinput echo "Your Thunderbird Message Filter msgFilterRules.dat files are in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edcompsci
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script failed with expect on cisco routers

Hi all, I use a bash script which use expect to connect throught ssh and run command on a cisco router. The ssh connection with expect work fine, but the first command on the cisco router failed, I try to run the command in error by hand and it work fine... :( the first part of the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedomon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tring to locate a script

Hello, We have a process on our Linux RedHat machine creating symbolic links and moving around some files from domain to domain. The issue is that the programmer has left a long time ago and nobody knows how the program is called, where it is and how the scheduling is setup. It runs every day for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to locate date in filename

I am looking for a way to find a date in the file without using find. for example something like this: files=`ls |grep txt` YEST=`TZ="GMT+24" date +'%m-%d-%Y'|sed 's/^0//g' |sed 's/$/.txt/g'` YES1=`TZ="GMT+48" date +'%m-%d-%Y'|sed 's/^0//g' |sed 's/$/.txt/g'` if ]; then echo yes;else echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)