Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace in a file from another file Post 303005845 by RudiC on Tuesday 24th of October 2017 04:38:40 AM
Old 10-24-2017
Any attempts / ideas / thoughts from your side?

Is the list given complete, or does your request apply to ALL punctuation chars?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find replace within a file?

I build several files by using the cut command to grab select fields(columns) from a really bid csv file. Each file is one column of data. I then put them together using paste command. Here is the code built in tcsh: cut -d , -f 1 some.csv > 1.csv cut -d , -f 10 some.csv > 10.csv paste 1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace pattren in file

Hi, I have the input file having data as follow: file1.txt 001 aaa_1:abcd 002 bbb_2:abcd I want output as, 001xabcd 002xabcd Here iam trying to replace "{1 space}{alphanumeric string with underscore}{:}" with characrter "x". I tried to achieve this using sed;but Iam not getting this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopalss
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a file

Hi everyone, I am new to the world of shell script programming. I have a file named Fnd1.txt which has the contents as below. I need to replace the \t with the tab space. Can any one help me to write a perl scipt for this. USA45V1\tG\t341029 USAV1T1\tG\t450545 USAREJ1\tG\t572645... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a gz file

Is there a way to do a find and replace in a .gz file in a single script ? I can always unzip, find and replace and then zip it again but would hate to do this everytime. Thanks ! Vivek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vashah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a string in a file without the use of temp file

Hi - I am looking for a replacing a string in a in multiple *.sql files in directory with a new string without using a temporary file Normally I can use sed command as below for W in ls `FILE*.sql` do sed 's/OLD/NEW/g' $W > TEMPFILE.dat mv TEMPFILE.dat $W done But Here in my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghutapal
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in File

Legends, I have a file /tmp/list.txt I want to find "/bin/" and replace it with "/log/" I tried the follwoing but no luck Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e 's/\/bin\/\/log\/' /tmp/list.txt >> /tmp/try Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1. AND, Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/replace in file from another file.

Dear Shell Expert, I have requirement of replacing passwd field in number of files based on username in them. The matching username and "new" password in available in a separate file. below is the sample for both. #sample of one of the file content, red highlighted field are username and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDDubai333
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to find and replace in a file

Hi All, I am having below sample data in a file. I need to find all the line form this file with word ABC and i need to replace the characters at position 120 which is "CO:BOGFDUI"(30chars) in the lines with blank space. I have tried using grep to find the word with ABC (grep ABC filename),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies
textutil::tabify(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			       textutil::tabify(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::tabify - Procedures to (un)tabify strings SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::tabify ?0.7? ::textutil::tabify::tabify string ?num? ::textutil::tabify::tabify2 string ?num? ::textutil::tabify::untabify string ?num? ::textutil::tabify::untabify2 string ?num? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::tabify provides commands that convert between tabulation and ordinary whitespace in strings. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::tabify::tabify string ?num? Tabify the string by replacing any substring of num space chars by a tabulation and return the result as a new string. num defaults to 8. ::textutil::tabify::tabify2 string ?num? Similar to ::textutil::tabify this command tabifies the string and returns the result as a new string. A different algorithm is used however. Instead of replacing any substring of num spaces this command works more like an editor. num defaults to 8. Each line of the text in string is treated as if there are tabstops every num columns. Only sequences of space characters containing more than one space character and found immediately before a tabstop are replaced with tabs. ::textutil::tabify::untabify string ?num? Untabify the string by replacing any tabulation char by a substring of num space chars and return the result as a new string. num defaults to 8. ::textutil::tabify::untabify2 string ?num? Untabify the string by replacing any tabulation char by a substring of at most num space chars and return the result as a new string. Unlike textutil::tabify::untabify each tab is not replaced by a fixed number of space characters. The command overlays each line in the string with tabstops every num columns instead and replaces tabs with just enough space characters to reach the next tabstop. This is the complement of the actions taken by ::textutil::tabify::tabify2. num defaults to 8. There is one asymmetry though: A tab can be replaced with a single space, but not the other way around. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
formatting, string, tabstops CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7 textutil::tabify(n)