Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace in a file from another file Post 303005845 by RudiC on Tuesday 24th of October 2017 04:38:40 AM
Old 10-24-2017
Any attempts / ideas / thoughts from your side?

Is the list given complete, or does your request apply to ALL punctuation chars?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find replace within a file?

I build several files by using the cut command to grab select fields(columns) from a really bid csv file. Each file is one column of data. I then put them together using paste command. Here is the code built in tcsh: cut -d , -f 1 some.csv > 1.csv cut -d , -f 10 some.csv > 10.csv paste 1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace pattren in file

Hi, I have the input file having data as follow: file1.txt 001 aaa_1:abcd 002 bbb_2:abcd I want output as, 001xabcd 002xabcd Here iam trying to replace "{1 space}{alphanumeric string with underscore}{:}" with characrter "x". I tried to achieve this using sed;but Iam not getting this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopalss
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a file

Hi everyone, I am new to the world of shell script programming. I have a file named Fnd1.txt which has the contents as below. I need to replace the \t with the tab space. Can any one help me to write a perl scipt for this. USA45V1\tG\t341029 USAV1T1\tG\t450545 USAREJ1\tG\t572645... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a gz file

Is there a way to do a find and replace in a .gz file in a single script ? I can always unzip, find and replace and then zip it again but would hate to do this everytime. Thanks ! Vivek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vashah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a string in a file without the use of temp file

Hi - I am looking for a replacing a string in a in multiple *.sql files in directory with a new string without using a temporary file Normally I can use sed command as below for W in ls `FILE*.sql` do sed 's/OLD/NEW/g' $W > TEMPFILE.dat mv TEMPFILE.dat $W done But Here in my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghutapal
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in File

Legends, I have a file /tmp/list.txt I want to find "/bin/" and replace it with "/log/" I tried the follwoing but no luck Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e 's/\/bin\/\/log\/' /tmp/list.txt >> /tmp/try Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1. AND, Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/replace in file from another file.

Dear Shell Expert, I have requirement of replacing passwd field in number of files based on username in them. The matching username and "new" password in available in a separate file. below is the sample for both. #sample of one of the file content, red highlighted field are username and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDDubai333
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to find and replace in a file

Hi All, I am having below sample data in a file. I need to find all the line form this file with word ABC and i need to replace the characters at position 120 which is "CO:BOGFDUI"(30chars) in the lines with blank space. I have tried using grep to find the word with ABC (grep ABC filename),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies
MBRLEN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 MBRLEN(3)

NAME
mbrlen -- get number of bytes in a character (restartable) LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <wchar.h> size_t mbrlen(const char * restrict s, size_t n, mbstate_t * restrict ps); DESCRIPTION
The mbrlen() function inspects at most n bytes pointed to by s to determine the number of bytes needed to complete the next multibyte charac- ter. The mbstate_t argument, ps, is used to keep track of the shift state. If it is NULL, mbrlen() uses an internal, static mbstate_t object, which is initialized to the initial conversion state at program startup. It is equivalent to: mbrtowc(NULL, s, n, ps); Except that when ps is a NULL pointer, mbrlen() uses its own static, internal mbstate_t object to keep track of the shift state. RETURN VALUES
The mbrlen() functions returns: 0 The next n or fewer bytes represent the null wide character (L''). >0 The next n or fewer bytes represent a valid character, mbrlen() returns the number of bytes used to complete the multibyte character. (size_t)-2 The next n contribute to, but do not complete, a valid multibyte character sequence, and all n bytes have been processed. (size_t)-1 An encoding error has occurred. The next n or fewer bytes do not contribute to a valid multibyte character. EXAMPLES
A function that calculates the number of characters in a multibyte character string: size_t nchars(const char *s) { size_t charlen, chars; mbstate_t mbs; chars = 0; memset(&mbs, 0, sizeof(mbs)); while ((charlen = mbrlen(s, MB_CUR_MAX, &mbs)) != 0 && charlen != (size_t)-1 && charlen != (size_t)-2) { s += charlen; chars++; } return (chars); } ERRORS
The mbrlen() function will fail if: [EILSEQ] An invalid multibyte sequence was detected. [EINVAL] The conversion state is invalid. SEE ALSO
mblen(3), mbrtowc(3), multibyte(3) STANDARDS
The mbrlen() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99''). BSD
April 7, 2004 BSD