Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Can I use mkdvd to create bootable DVD from mksysb on tape Post 303005824 by alanp36 on Monday 23rd of October 2017 11:23:26 PM
Old 10-24-2017
Can I use mkdvd to create bootable DVD from mksysb on tape

Hi,

Is it possible to use mkdvd to create a bootable DVD using a mksysb on tape as the source image?

On the system concerned, we don't have enough free space to create the mksysb to file first, so would like to use the existing tape mksysb backup.

The DVD disk/s will then be used to boot a different system which doesn't have access to a tape drive.

The man page for mkdvd only says:
-m mksysbimage "Specifies a previously created mksysb image."

TIA.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create a bootable tape

Good morning, I have no unix training. My daily backup failed with the following error. ' Cannot create /tmp/tape.bootimage because it already exists. I am using smit to run a rootvg and SAPvg backup. What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubyankees
1 Replies

2. AIX

How do I create a bootable mksysb image file

I have several systems which require software maintenance several times a year. After the software maintenance, it is required that we make two system tapes for DR purposes. The creation of these system tapes takes anywhere from 1-1.5 hours because of the performance of the tape drives. What I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: acascianelli
7 Replies

3. Linux

Creating a bootable dvd/cd disk

Hi all, thanks for so many helps in many problems! Can anyone guide, how to create a bootable cd/dvd from downloaded iso images of CentOS 5? I have collected all the iso in a dvd but it is not booting the system. Any response will be appreciable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies

4. AIX

mkdvd mkcd mksysb from file fails

Hello Folks,Having some problems moving an old mksysb backup to a file image.data to DVD-RAM1) From mkdvd if i do a new backup it works fineBUT2) From mkdvd if I do fails:+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+| Use an existing mksysb image?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
8 Replies

5. AIX

check whether a mksysb image is bootable or not?

Hi, Can any one please tell me the method to check whether a mksysb image which is in the server is bootable or not. :confused: Thanks in advance, Anoop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anoopraok
1 Replies

6. AIX

Mksysb mkdvd rootvg > 6gb

Hello, Just wondering if I don't have tape drive or NIM server then what are the possible ways to make mksysb ? My DVD-RAM has only 4GB capacity where as my rootvg is more than 6GB anythoughts ? POSTSCRIPT: SEE HERE FOR THE SOLUTION:... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. AIX

bootable mksysb image on

i have been given a bootable cd/dvd, that i install a ibm aix 185 workstation with, i want to make a nim mksysb resource from that, the following is a listing for the root file structure of the cd/dvd, seems someone took a mksysb of a built ibm aix machine and did mkcd -L -S -I and setup the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed123
2 Replies

8. AIX

Using mkdvd to create bootable mksysb on dvd reports success but nothing on dvd?

Hello, Running AIX 7.1 7100-00-03-1115, trying to make a mksysb image to a dvd drive using mkdvd. My final command looks like this.. mkdvd -e -V rootvg -R -C /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_fs -I /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/cd_images -M /usr1/AIXADMIN/mkcd/mksysbimage -d /dev/cd0 -Y When i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies

9. AIX

Mkdvd mksysb

hello How can I know which files did not get backuped Command: OK stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log... Verifying command parameters... Creating image.data... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
DARES(1)																  DARES(1)

NAME
dares - rescue files from damaged CDs and DVDs SYNOPSIS
dares -i image -s path [-h2i h2i_file] [-a] [-m] [-llogfile] dares-qt [-i image] [-s path] [-h2i h2i_file] [-a] [-m] [-llogfile] DESCRIPTION
Dares scans a CD/DVD image or a CD/DVD and tries to find files. It does not depend on filesystem information, but instead uses the Magic library to identify files. Doing it this way Dares can recover files even when the filesystem (ISO-9660 or UDF) on the disc is damaged and cannot be mounted anymore. Dares can use H2cdimage (ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/h2cdimage.zip) files to rescue data from heavily damaged optical discs. OPTIONS
-i CD/DVD image file or device. -s Directory where the rescued files shall be stored. -h2i Optional h2i file for the CD/DVD image. -a Store all found files without any user interaction. -m Use Mime types instead of a description. -l Logfile (default: dares.log) AUTHOR
dares was written by Oliver Diedrich <odi@ct.heise.de>. This manual page was written by Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Michael Hanke Oktober 2005 DARES(1)