Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Beginner bash - basic shell script 'while' help... Post 303005732 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 22nd of October 2017 12:54:42 PM
Old 10-22-2017
A quick fix would be to use break:
Code:
then 
  echo "Great, thanks!"
  break
elif ....

Which will end the loop when the user answers "Yes"

--
Or
Code:
right=No
while test $right != Yes
do
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Beginner

I have a folder with lots of file. e.g. a.txt, b.txt, c.txt.... I want to put these files from the source directory and place them in a destination directory in a specific order, such as /destination/a/a.txt, /destination/b/b.txt, /destination/c/c.txt, ...... Please help. Thx :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron_fong
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix beginner. Need some very basic help.

Hey all I'm working on a script that will scour a directory of 6000+ files for a line that at the end has a number. Something like 'The number of outputs is: 39200' I'm trying to devise a script to add all of these numbers up, so far I have the grep statement that pulls out each individual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner shell script help

. ./testFile.sh url=http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s= suf=&d=5&e=9&f=2009&g=d&a=1&b=4&c=1999&ignore=.csv wget $url$s1$suf; sleep 10; cat header.txt > $s1.txt; chmod 777 $s1.txt; sed '1d' table.csv?s\=$s1 >> $s1.txt; rm -Rf table* Very new at shell scripting as you can see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harte
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix bash script help

Hello there Been using Unix bash scripting for two days now so am very new to this. I am currently doing a project now and i'm basically making a noughts and crosses game (or tic tac toe). I have created the board using an array. When I try and check to see if the array is empty using an If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisHoogie
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (beginner) need help...

Hello, I'm new to Sheel script and I need your help for a script I need to develop (for me). Indead, I have a software which log all entry from internet and save it in text file. But, the log is practically unreadable because every 256 characters jump to a new line (even if the message is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidoangel
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script (beginner)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Arguments: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8212131370_8b6e8c10c5_c.jpg I am given these three arguments. $1, $2, $3 The first argument is the path to a directory. So, how would I go into the directory and compare files? I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spider-man
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Ash (busybox) - Beginner

Hi All, I have a script that I wrote on a bash shell, I use it to sort files from a directory into various other directories. I have an variable set, which is an array of strings, I then check each file against the array and if it is in there the script sorts it into the correct folder. But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtbobie
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in making a basic bash script

Hi All, I am trying to monitor CPU load of few processes, with the same name. The output that I get from top is the following 28171 root 20 0 1089m 21m 3608 S 103 0.3 15:16.89 /opt/ppp//h264rtptranscoder.bin --videoPort=14504 --audioPort=14505 27589 root 20 0 1060m 23m... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner here, how to call a bash-script from python properly?

Hi everyone, i have the following script.sh: foo='lsusb | grep Webcam | cut -c16-18' sudo /home/user/public/usbreset /dev/bus/usb/001/$foo when i try to call this script from python using subprocess.call("script.sh", shell=True) it seems that only 'sudo /home/user/public/usbreset' is being... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilfemir
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition shell script beginner

Hi all I have the folloing process that needs checking often: ps -ef | grep ih bscsrtx 206 15901 0 11:28:10 pts/6 0:00 fih -r4 bscsrtx 218 15901 0 11:28:27 pts/6 0:01 aih bscsrtx 29763 15901 4 11:27:16 pts/6 0:59 rdh -prih root 429 27268 0 11:30:15 pts/td ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
13 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)