Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Possible to insert a few lines of code into a file at a specific point? Post 303005659 by Don Cragun on Friday 20th of October 2017 08:24:46 PM
Old 10-20-2017
So, if your file isn't a shell script, what is used to interpret your file?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines at specific location in file

Hi There I have this file that I would like to add entries to, however, there is a "}" as the last line that I need to keep. Basically i would like to know how I can write a script that will add new lines at the second to last line position (ie always add new line above the close bracket) ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert 2 lines in a file at a specific location

Hi, I need to insert two new lines in a file: The file: "..... ...... ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n `ulimit -H -n`" .... .... " I need to add the lines: LD_LIBRARY_PATH='$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$APACHE_HOME/modules' DOWNLOADMODULE_CONF_PATHNAME='$APACHE_HOME/conf/DWLModule.cfg' right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and print previous lines from a particular point

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting and I have a problem. I have a file in which I have to search for a particular pattern say 'a' then from that line I need to search for another pattern say 'b' in the previous lines and thne print the file from pattern 'b' till the end of file. For eg: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaislearning
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert data into specific lines of a CSV

So I work in a 1 to 1 laptop deployment and sometimes we need to mass order parts. The vendor will send us a text file and we have to manually input serial numbers. Well I have a full blown web based inventory system which I can pull serial number reports from. I then have to input the part... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join Lines at a specific point

Hi I'm a beginner, and i've been having trouble joining two lines. I need to convert this file 1097ALABAMA Mobile County METHOMYL INSE CTICIDES 6 1.6200000E+00 1.8000001E+00 1003ALABAMA Baldwin County ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kf_1434
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Insert a file at specific line

Hi, Anyone can help me in Solaris command on how to insert a file at specific line. I want file1.sql content to be inserted on file2.sh after "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel". # file1.sql /archivelogs/927_822338133.arc /archivelogs/671_822338107.arc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert charactera in 1st position of specific lines using vi editor or sed command

Dear all, i am having text file like below surya rama ranga laxman rajesh reddy i want add string (OK) before a text from line 3 to 5 the result will be surya rama OK ranga OK laxman OK rajesh reddy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies